Caper brine . . . an interesting ingredient

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Yesterday I was contemplating what to make for dinner. My husband is something along the lines of a modern-day meat and starch eater. He wants to cut back on red meat, but he grows tired of chicken quickly (as a young man he worked for a locally-owned family-owned fried chicken restaurant). I'm not encouraged to prepare fish since my husband is a fishing fanatic and he 1) doesn't like me buying fish and 2) doesn't want me preparing fish he caught. And, on top of that, he is planning on putting a pork loin on the grill's rotisserie this weekend.

What to do? What to do?

Then lo-and-behold . . . my culinary planets aligned when I received an email from Allrecipes.com with '15 Quick-Prep Recipes for Easy Summer Dinners' and the photo was a shrimp dish. I clicked on the link and was presented with the recipe for 'Simple Garlic Shrimp' My first thought was "Hey! That works! It's not beef, chicken, poultry, or fish!" Plus, I had all of the ingredients on hand . . . even the caper brine.

Caper brine as an ingredient? I had never seen that before. I had seen pickle juice in a martini, but never caper brine. Fortunately, I had a jar of capers in the refrigerator and was able to pour out the 1T the recipe called for. Wow! What a difference! The salty tang worked well with the garlic, red pepper flakes, butter, and flat-leaf parsley. I served the shrimp over jasmine rice with steam broccoli as a side . . . and poured the sauce from the recipe over everything. My husband said it was one of the best things I had ever cooked. Normally, I want compliments on original dishes instead of following a recipe . . . but, in this case, I'll take the praise.

Anyway, I thought I would pass along caper brine as an intriguing ingredient and recommend not sending it down the sink drain when your draining capers. I'm looking forward to other ways to use caper brine in other dishes.

Has anybody else used caper brine as an ingredient . . . or something similar . . . and in what?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I use pickle brine in chicken salad and potato salad. I'm playing with pickled ginger liquid for a dressing but haven't got that nailed down. Bread and butter pickle brine should also be interesting.

For kimchi fried rice you need the kimchi liquid.

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
Caper brine is a brilliant ingredient. I use it sometimes instead of vinegar in a French style salad dressing. Basically, it can be used in almost any recipe where vinegar might be used - at least, I think so!

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Caper brine is a brilliant ingredient. I use it sometimes instead of vinegar in a French style salad dressing. Basically, it can be used in almost any recipe where vinegar might be used - at least, I think so!
Thanks! I look forward to using in more.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Pickled ginger liquid sounds divine! I hope you will keep us posted.
The pickled sushi ginger juice is an excellent ingredient. I use it in several ways to add a layer of flavor that's there, but not recognizable.

I hate pouring brines down the drain so I'm always thinking about ways to use dill pickle brine, caper brine, etc. Even artichoke and roast red pepper marinade.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
The pickled sushi ginger juice is an excellent ingredient. I use it in several ways to add a layer of flavor that's there, but not recognizable.

I hate pouring brines down the drain so I'm always thinking about ways to use dill pickle brine, caper brine, etc. Even artichoke and roast red pepper marinade.
Thanks! Great recommendations! The brine in capers and other items will definitely not go down the drain. Good stuff! Plus, it's easier to hold on to it than recreate it later.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the post. I learned something new. I'm not a fan of capers so it never occurred to me to re-use the brine. I'll have to see what other brines are lurking in my frig.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
As with mike9, I see opportunity in brines. One of my favourites is olive bread, made with Kalamata brine. Gherkin and pickle brines tend to go in salad dressings, oils in marinades.

In my day 99% of the places had hollandaise and Bernaise sauces on the menu, and 75% of the places just added chopped pickled tarragon leaves to the hollandaise. You were very classy if you made a dedicated Bernaise with the tarragon vinegar in the reduction

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I bought a Boston Butt yesterday and trimmed out a pound of very lean meat for sloppy joes. One thing this recipe calls for is lots of liquid to break up the meat as it cooks down. Besides water I added roasted red pepper and pickled jalapeno brines to the mix and it was really, really good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom