Can't find meaning of "away" anywhere!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pilotsh, Sep 11, 2017.

1. pilotsh

pilotsh

Exp:
    Love Home cooking / enthusiast
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this website but have had a passion for cooking at home forever! I was watching the Australia version of Hell's Kitchen that features MPW, and he keeps yelling "away". Eg, "2 beef, one lamb away" . I have not been able to find an explanation of this anywhere (google searchs results are useless for this).

Could somebody tell me what this means in a kitchen environment?

Thanks in advance!

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Are you sure he isn't saying "All day"? That means "total".

3. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    "Away" or "Call Away" means the same thing as "Fire!"
    It's usually used when the wait staff have indicated that a table has finished their course and the table has been cleared and is ready for the next course.

4. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    In my experience, if the phrase is used coming off the cookline, the cooked dish is ready to head for the passfor expediting. If coming from the pass, the main dish is done and ready for server pickup.

5. pilotsh

pilotsh

Exp:
    Thanks for the replies. Cronker, that makes sense. Since I posted I have watched another episdoe where he calls for three (fish) "Dory away", and she explains they were seasoned and then put them in the steam oven.
    So away must mean the table is ready for the (next) dish/course, so the head chef is saying cook/finish it now.
    Cheers!

6. pilotsh

pilotsh

Exp:
    Thanks for the replies. Cronker, that makes sense. Since I posted I have watched another episdoe where he calls for three (fish) "Dory away", and she (a contestant) explains they were seasoned and ready but when he called away she put them in the steam oven.
    So away must mean the table is ready for the dish, cook/finish it now. (eg, take a steak out of sous vide and sear it for plating)

Cheers!