Canning Dilly Beans

Joined Mar 5, 2016
I made a batch of Dilly Beans, and needed more liquid, I used 5 cups water, 5 cups Apple Cider Vinegar, AND should have used 1/2 cup salt, but only used 1/4.

Woke up this morning and realized it, should I throw them out? or are they ok?

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Have they been processed (canned) to be shelf stable at room temperature, or are you just keeping them in the fridge?

Joined Oct 31, 2012
     I'd say they are fine, but you can add more salt. You post that they needed more liquid. So you had some to begin with, I assume at the proper ratios, correct? 

So the salt is a bit lacking but the vinegar/acidity is correct. Still not a habitable medium for bacteria. You can always add a bit more salt. If you are salting with in recommended ratios, there is some room for deviation. 

if you processed them, they have been in a sealed environment so overnight won't matter. 

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I make a reduced salt version for a friend who can't have salt. As long as you have the right acid level you are fine. The salt is there as seasoning.

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Canned 10 min in water bath. Original recipe was 2.5 cups water/2.5 cups Vinegar and 1/4 c salt.

Top Bottom