Canning Dilly Beans

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pol15, Mar 5, 2016.

1. pol15

pol15

Exp:
    At home cook
    I made a batch of Dilly Beans, and needed more liquid, I used 5 cups water, 5 cups Apple Cider Vinegar, AND should have used 1/2 cup salt, but only used 1/4.

Woke up this morning and realized it, should I throw them out? or are they ok?

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have they been processed (canned) to be shelf stable at room temperature, or are you just keeping them in the fridge?

3. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
         I'd say they are fine, but you can add more salt. You post that they needed more liquid. So you had some to begin with, I assume at the proper ratios, correct? 

So the salt is a bit lacking but the vinegar/acidity is correct. Still not a habitable medium for bacteria. You can always add a bit more salt. If you are salting with in recommended ratios, there is some room for deviation. 

if you processed them, they have been in a sealed environment so overnight won't matter. 

4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I make a reduced salt version for a friend who can't have salt. As long as you have the right acid level you are fine. The salt is there as seasoning.

5. pol15

pol15

Exp:
    At home cook
    Canned 10 min in water bath. Original recipe was 2.5 cups water/2.5 cups Vinegar and 1/4 c salt.

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You should be okay.

7. pol15

pol15

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you so much :)