Canned olive fridge life

Joined Dec 7, 2009
My wife and I like Greek salad about every day lately.  To save I plan on buying the big #1 cans of olives sliced at Costco.  How long would they be okay in the fridge in glass?  I hope one month.  Cover with oil?

Joined Apr 3, 2010
Providing nothing dipped into them and left in same brine in cold fridge.,  Weeks in a covered container.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
...big #1 cans of olives sliced at Costco.  How long would they be okay in the fridge in glass?  ...
"Greek" salad does not want sliced olives.  Always whole greek olives of which there are hundreds of varieties at specialty stores.  They are worth the trip, not too expensive and they last a good year in the fridge.  Try the kalamatas, they're the safest bet but you can't go wrong with any kind.

Joined Dec 7, 2009
Yes Kalamata are the best but I will have to look around for a decent price.  We may have to go with sliced but thanks.

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Decent olives are a small enough luxury.  Do your own pitting and seeding only as needed, and your tongue will thank you.

To pit olives for a salad, smash them with the flat of your knife, and force the pit out with your fingers.  The olive will not be a perfect finger puppet, but a little character is okay in an olive.

BDL

Latest posts

Top Bottom