Candy Making

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by truffle, Dec 8, 2004.

1. truffle

truffle

Does anyone know the real deal about storing truffles? Half the people say they should never be refrigerated. The other half say you must refrigerate because of the cream in the ganache.
    I am so confused :confused:
    I usually do refrigerate, but would actually like to be able to leave them out of refrigeration without making anyone sick.

2. nicholas

nicholas

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello, and welcome!

I suppose you don't refrigerate truffles because cocoa powder absorbs moisture, and it'd make your truffles soggy.
    However, if you have those refrigerated display stands, and they posess some refrigeration system in them that keeps the air "dry" (ie, moisture free), then you can store your truffles as such, like chocolate boutique stores.

However, if you plan to store your truffles in a regular refrigerator, you can, but do not coat them with the cocoa powder yet.

I'm not sure about safe storage times, but anyhow, I think they won't last long as they are too delicious to keep, and if I'm correct, dairy products do not last long anyway.

3. truffle

truffle

Thanks for the response. I am talking about Truffles that have been coated with chocolate. I am basically concerned about the cream growing bacteria. Or...does the chocolate or sugar in the product preserve them? I'm not really clear on the safety issue of this.

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anytme you are dealing with fresh dairy, time and temperature are an issue. These truffles must be kept refrigerated. If you have scalded the cream you can add a little non refrigerated shelf life, but not that much. Why take chances. Cocoa on the other hand is not that hydroscopic, so you don't have to worry about the refrigerator so much. Be aware however that chocolate, like butter, picks up flavors and odors like a magnet! Keep the truffles in a ziploc or other airtight container and you should be fine. Just have the recipient take the truffles out and bring them to room temp and hour before serving and you'll have a fine product!

5. bigbuns

bigbuns

I was taught that if they are coated in tempered chocolate, the chocolate "seals" the truffle filling from the air; thus, prolonging shelf life outside of refrigeration. Our two local chocolate shops do not have refrigeration. I don't refrigerate my coated ones, because I do not want to have damaging condensation on the chocolate. I certainly would refrigerate any that are coated in cocoa, rolled in nuts, etc. Perhaps it would depend on your turnover? This is an interesting thread of conversation.

6. truffle

truffle

As you can see even from the answers here, there is confusion about whether it has to be refrigerated or not. I have wondered if the sealing aspect would have something to do with it, but I can't even imagine why it should. How long do you keep truffles on hand if they are not refrigerated?