- Joined Aug 17, 2007
Feels like the holidays when you drink hot chocolate don't you think? This is quick and easy to make, here are more holiday recipes at Vons - Holiday Who here loves hot chocolate?? :thumb:
Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
- 1 qt. O Organics[emoji]8482[/emoji] Whole Milk
- 1 qt. O Organics[emoji]8482[/emoji] Low-Fat Milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz. O Organics[emoji]8482[/emoji] Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 oz. red-and-white striped peppermint candies
- 1 cup Lucerne[emoji]174[/emoji] Whipping Cream
- Peppermint schnapps or peppermint extract
- 8 candy canes, each at least 4 in. tall
1. In a 5- to 6-qt. heavy pan over medium heat, combine whole milk, low-fat milk, and 1/2 cup sugar. Whisk often, just until milk is steaming, about 10 minutes; do not boil. Reduce heat to low and add chocolate chips. Whisk constantly until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; keep warm.
2. While milk heats, place the 4 oz. of peppermint candies in a food processor and whirl just until coarsely crushed. (Or place candies in a heavy zip-lock plastic bag and pound with a mallet or rolling pin until coarsely crushed.) Set aside.
3. Pour whipping cream into a medium-mixing bowl. Beat on high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, gently fold crushed peppermint candy into whipped cream.
4. To serve, divide hot chocolate among mugs. If desired, add peppermint schnapps or extract to each mug to taste. Top each with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with a candy cane.