Candied Rose Petals For The Breeze

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by isa, Feb 14, 2002.

1. isa

isa

Athenaeus,

I thought it would be the perfect accompaniment to your delicate breezes.

Candied Rose Petals

1 rose, separated into petals
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup extra-fine granulated sugar, divided

Immerse the rose petals in cool water and swish gently to remove any soil. Drain and tenderly pat dry or let air-dry.

Combine the 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat; stir. Let this simple syrup cool to room temperature.

Place the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small dish.

Dip the rose petals into the cooled syrup and shake off any excess. Coat with sugar. Place on a cooling rack or grid (or a plastic crochet mat) to dry overnight.

The next day, place petals in a plastic container. Cover and store at room temperature.

Note: Use candied rose petals to garnish other drinks and desserts, too.

Be sure to use a pesticide-free rose from your garden or a nursery. California spray roses, also known as sweetheart roses, are least likely to contain pesticides, according to Bill Neely of Indian Rock Produce, a grower and distributor of organic produce in Quakertown. Miniature rose bushes sold in garden centers and larger supermarkets are also among the safer choices. Avoid roses grown in Holland or South America.

Philadelphia Inquirer

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you Isa for thinking of my breezes

I use candy fruits for decorating jellos during the summer. Especially the yellow -gold grapes look impressive!

But roses are so perfect that I dare not even to cut them from the plant. I will try them once :)