Candied Bacon

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bryanj, Nov 9, 2009.

1. bryanj

bryanj

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Does anyone know how to make candied bacon that's actually crispy? I can make it, and it's always delicious, but it's chewy. I've tried making a brown sugar and butter glaze, coating the bacon, and baking it. I've crisped the bacon and coated it in caramel, but when that happens it gets chewy again. Any advice?

2. chefray

chefray

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Make it like a nut brittle. Half and half water and sugar, by weight. Heat gently until the sugar is dissolved fully. Move the pot on to a heat diffuser(cast iron, griddle top, etc.) and crank up the heat. Once it gets rolling, cover it with a glass lid and, here's the important part, don't touch it again until it's a light amber color. If you stir it, your spoon will give the sugar somewhere to collect and you will have made praline.

Lay the bacon out on a piece of parchment on top of a buttered, ice cold baking sheet and pour the sugar goo over it. Once it cools, smack it with something hard until it's broken into the size that you want.

3. mikhon

mikhon

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi,

You mean, bacon candy? will I have some tips here. This can help you. All you need to do is ..Here are some tips on how to make bacon candy:

Here’s what you need:
    – 1 pound of bacon
    – Light brown sugar
    – One ziplock plastic bag

Steps:

1. Cut the bacon into strips approximately 1″ wide.
    2.Fill the ziplock bag with brown sugar and throw the bacon pieces inside. Do not throw more than 3 or 4 pieces at a time.
    3. Shake bacon pieces inside bag so that the piece is coated with brown sugar.
    4. Line the pan with these sugar coated pieces of porkly goodness.
    5. Put the pan in a pre-heated oven set to 350 degrees. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until they pieces are crispy.
    6. Let cool until hard. Then enjoy the best man snack in the world.

Hope this steps will help you in your candied bacon...Goodluck!

4. bryanj

bryanj

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I did try similar procedures to both of these. I got better results with the drizzling caramel method. The issue with it though was that it was more caramel flavored than bacon, and it makes little crumbles. I want juliennes (garnish for a dish I'm working on) and I want the bacon to be the primary flavor.

5. henry

henry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    At the B&B I would mix brown sugar and some flour, then dredge the bacon in that. Then baked till crisp. I may have turned it too, don't remember for sure.

H.

6. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    ChefRay, I'm a little confused. Always thought that brittle and praline were synonyms. Could you explain the difference?

7. chefray

chefray

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As I've stated before, this may be a local distinction. A praline is cloudy and a little softer while a brittle is crystal clear(as you can get it) and rock hard. I do know that the clarity is achieved by not disturbing the boiling sugar water.

Also, a traditional American praline has cream.

8. joiedevivre

joiedevivre

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    half brown sugar, half granulated sugar.  Dredge in that then bake till crisp. 

9. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    another approach....using  pure maple syrup

Thick slices of bacon arranged in a baking dish, cook at 400 F for 15 minutes. Remove, drain fat. Reduce temp to 350. Pour maple syrup, flip to coat all surface of bacon.

Bake flipping and rotating pan halfway through until  bacon is golden brown and syrup is thick. 35-40

Transfer to parchment to cool down. Candied maple bacon.

10. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    try cooking the bacon on a rack, using raw sugar instead of granulated and for a kick in the head try a dash of either cayenne or chipotle powder

joey

11. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Check master Pepin, his (wife's) way:

12. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Someone sent this as a gift to the boss's at work. It is very brittle and cooked well. It has cayenne pepper to give it a nice bit.....I think it comes from Georgia.