Canadian Sabatier Profile

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by birddog, Oct 5, 2013.

1. birddog

birddog

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I recently purchased a Thiers-Issard Sabatier "Canadian" 8" chef's  knife from TBT, with a nice straight blade, and great F&F.  My concern is about the blade profile and what, if anything, to do about it.  Placing the knife edge down, and calling the bolster zero, one sees the following:  The blade makes contact at 0.625" and at  3.25".  Between these contact spots the blade is a bit up, but is nearly straight.  Looking from the side - one sees just a little daylight.

Would it be prudent to knock down the first high spot at 0.625", so that the blade sits flat ? Cutting on a flat board, using a knife with a hollow spot, the knife will not be going all the way through what you are trying to cut.   If I do try to flatten the high spot near the bolster - is a file, or a stone, the right tool ?  The other option is to seek professional help.

The profile of this Canadian Sabatier is quite different from my Konosuke HD.  For sharpening I use an EdgePro with Shapton stones.

Thanks

2. birddog

birddog

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good advice - looking at the knife - I may also have to thin down the integral forged finger guard a bit.  Best

3. birddog

birddog

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have a 500 grit shapton stone, and will try this on the finger guard.  As to the Edge Pro angle, I guess I will start by matching the current finger guard angle, and just try to get some metal off.  I will remove enough of the finger guard so that I might get a couple years of blade sharpening in - before running up against the finger guard again.  

On your " try to establish a very shallow (convex) arc ", is there a trick to this - or is it an artistic thing ?  Would the arc run from the current 3.25" contact point to the finger guard ?

Best