canadian chefs in australia

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by ryangary, Jul 30, 2002.

1. ryangary

ryangary

I am a Canadian chef wanting to live in Australia does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to get a visa and how long this may take.

2. freddychef

freddychef

Hi---I have tried for quite some time to get work in Australia as a chef(I have worked in 5 provinces here) and it's quite hard. Foremost you have to think of the age consideration--i'm over 30 and it seems as I write that the only way for me to get work is to be sponsored in by a company. Having said that, this has turned out to a really incredible endeavour since i'm in Canada and cannot make the proper contacts. I have found that there doesn't seem to be a good chat forum for chefs in Australia (if you know of one let me know).

I did work while there but it was for room and board because the hospitality sector already has a great program for hiring younger people on 1 year worker visas--sp look into that--get there and then start. That is your best bet IF you are under 30. There are quite a few industry employment websites you may want to check as well--Byron Bay Employment, Seek job service, any of the hostels is a way to start as well...I get regular job emails from these but then there are a lot of situations that are not open to non-citizens...good luck [email protected]:)

3. thinkvaio

thinkvaio

I think it should be equal matters for females in the kitchen,to me i found out women in the kitchen have different brain thoughts in the kicthen then males do.I think its great that women are coming more advanced into the pro. kitchen and going to the top..lets work together and MAKE THINGS HAPPEN...;) I have worked with alot of women in the pastry kitchen,i was sous patry chef and i sometimes had to deal with interviews and being a female was never the issue.now am going to my next project to be the exc. pastry chef and it would be a harder task...am sure i would maybe have a female as my sous chef...hehe...anyway...GIRLS ROCK...:)