can you still be a chef

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by emanuel62893, Aug 31, 2011.

1. emanuel62893

emanuel62893

Exp:
    At home cook
    Can you still be a chef if you have asthma?

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why not?

3. emanuel62893

emanuel62893

Exp:
    At home cook
    Because asthma has a lot of coughing involved and I was just wondering if thats was ok in the food service industry.

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, you shouldn't cough on the food (contamination), but that can be controlled, if necessary, with a face mask. No worse than a hairnet, or mustache net.

5. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    Don't you use an asthma inhaler? Coughing should be held in check.

6. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'd think if you are treating a condition like asthma correctly, it shouldn't be a huge problem. That being said, you can cough on my food if you share the same neck of woods as me. It's ok.

Asthma is not communicable. How many non-asthma chefs show up to work with a cold or strep once a year or maybe two .. and through coughing/sneezing/general touching of infected areas expose people to what are actually communicable infections?

7. gourmetm

gourmetm

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't want to know the answer to that question!

You are right, Eastshores, asthma is not communicable. It's the other gunk in the cough that worries me.

8. nicholas beebe

nicholas beebe

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I've had chronic asthma and allergies for as long as I've cooked. Usually if I need to cough or sneeze or whatever, I usually feel it coming at least a second or two before it happens. I take the opportunity to set down my knife  or anything dangerous I have, and take evasive maneuvers. I try to stifle sneezes, but coughs are trickier. If I can get myself where I can ensure my cough is nowhere near food, all the better. Typically, I'll have to wash my hands, but most kitchens have hand sinks everywhere anyways, so it's not a big issue. If I sneeze or cough directly into my hands, I'll give them an extra thorough scrubbing, but it still usually isn't a lot of wasted time. I've seen many cooks with habits much worse than mine, and none of those restaurants have been shut down, or those cooks canned. Of course, I don't condone their unsanitary behaviour, but I merely want to say that in my experience, many cooks deal with wily bodily functions and are still able to hold down their jobs.

Short answer: you can be a chef if you have asthma. Just don't spew saliva into my food.

gourmetm likes this.