Can You Freeze Buttermilk?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Can you freeze buttermilk? We always buy buttermilk for a recipe but then there is left over that is not needed. I hate throwing it out but wondered if anyone has had good experience with freezing it. Did a search in the forums but I did not see any discussions in the results. THanks

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Yes, it will likely separate but you can shake it back together.

https://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Buttermilk has some good tips.

I've used powdered buttermilk before and it's a decent ingredient, but lesser than the cultured style.

You can also quick clabber milk with lemon juice or vinegar as a substitute, but it too is a lesser ingredient. Most of the "instant" methods recommend removing 1 T from a cup of milk and adding 1 T of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar. I have better results with 2 T -- that gives me about the same rise as buttermilk will without being off in taste. And I use cider vinegar most often, followed by lemon juice.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
E3FE2825-4D17-45E2-A87D-A87E1B1DF592.jpeg
I dislike two things: that buttermilk isn’t sold in pint containers and wasting what I buy.

Leftovers are frozen in 1/2 cup portions... quite successfully. I’ve also used dried buttermilk interchangeably.

Joined Dec 28, 2020
If you use plain yogurt it works just as well thinning with some milk or half & half. But yeah freeze buttermilk and shake well.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Milk is not an uniform liquid. It is a colloidal suspension of fats, sugars and proteins in water, but it doesn't settle. Though unhomogenized form, the cream will float out on top over time, the rest of milk doesn't settle. Freezing moves the particulate aside so the frozen form separates somewhat from the water.

Last edited:

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Thanks I threw it in the freezer I will see how it turns out when I use it next time. I appreciate the help everyone.

Top Bottom