Can ya help a girl out?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dillonsmimi, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My Dad, who was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia, used to scramble shad roe (from a can) with scrambled eggs almost every Sunday breakfast. I was the only one of his offspring that would clean my plate and ask for more. Sometimes I would request this dish and his answer would be about how he had to wait for someone to visit (Virginia) or mail a few cans (to Texas) . I have Googled (and haunted local grocery stores) looking for this product . Any ideas?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Why not buy the roe fresh, slit the membrane and remove the eggs?

Lightly salt the eggs.

3. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I pondered that very question, however have yet to find a fish monger that would be willing to obtain this highly perishable product in the Houston, Texas area. Something about Shad being endangered? (sounds like a fish story if you ask me). Do you know of such a place that could help me?

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am not familiar with fish mongers in your area, I also did not think shad roe is endangered.It is however a bit early to find fresh roe. Spring is the time of year you find this species. Have you tried herring eggs? same family.

5. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    No, I hadn't thought of herring but just might give it a whirl if my quest is unsuccessful. Spring meaning March thru May?

6. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    I have never seen it canned but I buy fresh on order from my local fish man . It is not cheap and it is sold in pairs.

7. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Mimi,

You are nearer than you think to a source for roe. We cook speckled trout roe regularly. The grandson loves it, and he is an unimpeachable food critic. I know you have speckled trout in Port O'Connor. Just break out your fishing rod.

8. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We have a freezer full of trout fillets. Do the eggs taste the same as the shad's? How do we treat them when cleaning the day's catch? I feel very silly now. Longing for that taste all this time while tossing the object of my desire to hardheads and dolphins!

9. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The easiest way is to dust it with seasoned flour and saute in butter. Remove the roe and let the butter brown, then pour over the roe sacks. A little splash of lemon goes well.

You can also deep fry the roe. Make an egg wash, roll in seasoned flour, and deep fry at 375 degrees. One recipe I have serves these with a meuniere sauce, which I have no trouble drinking with a straw if it's available. I love that on those trout filets you have frozen as well.

My oldest son will salt and pepper it, drizzle with olive oil, and put it in a 450 degree oven.

You only want do do the roe when it is very fresh.

10. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I was giving you recipes when you were asking how to clean them. Just be careful not to break the membrane. You will end up with a double sac of trout roe. I have never had shad roe, so I can't comment on the difference in taste.

I suspect a lot of speckled trout roe recipes orininated in New Orleans and other areas of Louisianna. You might Google up some more recipes there.

11. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    oldpro....thank you so much for both the info AND the recipes. I take it that this treasure needs to be eaten the day it is caught. If, for some reason, we are fishing then coming home instead of making a weekend of it can I just carefully place the trout caviar (LOL) in a ziplock bag and then a ziplock container, bury it in ice and cook it the next day?

12. oldpro

oldpro

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The roe will keep for two or three days, but i would keep it on ice.

13. dillonsmimi

dillonsmimi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks...ice NOT fridge. Got it!

14. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    its always nice to use fresh eggs. - and you can get it everywhere