Can we make suggestions for the special guest forum?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phoebe, Feb 25, 2006.

1. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've enjoyed the four times we've had special guests who visit and answer questions about their work and ideas. So, Nicko, can we get in on the act and make suggestions? special requests?
    I'm guessing that most guests agree mainly for marketing reasons (i.e. they have a book coming out or a special project). But some might be willing to spend a week with us just because we're so much fun ;) .

So could we make up a wish list?

1. Jacques Pepin would head mine. And he has two relatively recent books out:
    The Apprentice and Fast Food My Way

2. I'd also love to have one of the Editor-in-Chiefs of one of the major food magazines on:
    Ruth Reichl from Gourmet
    Barbara Fairchild from Bon Appetit
    Dana Cowin from Food & Wine

3. Clearly, most of us here love Alton Brown, so he'd be great fun.

4. And maybe we could have more than one at a time: like a panel of three or four prominent restaurant critics.

I have more in mind, but I'll just stop here for now. What do you all think?

2. marzoli

marzoli

Mario Batalli! Alton Brown!

3. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If I may be so bold as to ask why does it have to be someone famous ? Why can't it be someone that is just a very talented/unknown ? I don't agree that the multitude of superchefs/overly exposed chefs and the like need any more exposure. There are just too many very good/upcoming talents out there that are overlooked because they aren't being marketed. Let's do it for the information rather than to promote someones new book or business venture.

Just a different take/view on the chef market. Thanx

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Might I suggest Odessa Piper? She's the founding chef of L'Etoile Restaurant in Madison, WI. She's so knowledgeable about using fresh, seasonal ingredients and the connection between the farm and the table. And, she's not a TV chef. :D

http://www.theorganicreport.com/page...essa_piper.cfm

5. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Now that's what i'm talking about.:)

6. blueschef

blueschef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about Paul Prudehomme (somewhat a celeberity but no so much in the limelight anymore, a super cool dude who loves food and knows more about it than anyone would beleive!). Or an old warrior who still kooks in the kitchen every day (Norm Van Aken, etc.)

7. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not for me, Some unknown that is very talented. Possibly a co-worker, Someone that has the talent to be great not someone who is/was.;)

8. andrew563

andrew563

I would love to see Jacques Pepen here.