Can this cream be saved?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bluedogz, Jun 27, 2010.

1. bluedogz

bluedogz

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Good afternoon-

This morning's project was raspberry-picking in the yard.  And now I'm 4 cups deep ready to make scones.

Ran to the market to pick up a container of light cream for my scone recipe, which is below if anyone cares for it.  On arriving home, I opened the container (with a sell-by date of Aug. 6) and found the cream clumpy and nasty-looking.  Oddly, it smells and tastes OK.  It's not entirely curdled- it's about as liquid as I would have expected- but there are some clumps that made it APPEAR like it had been out too long.

So, is the vote to soldier on and use this stuff?  Or will that poison my scones?

Thanks, all!

------------------

Ingredients

• 2 cups flour
    • 4 teaspoons baking[​IMG]  powder
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/3 cup sugar
    • 4 tablespoons butter
    • 2 tablespoons shortening
    • 3/4 cup cream
    • 1 egg
    • Handful dried[​IMG]  currants or dried cranberries

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening. In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Stir in fruit. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out and cut into biscuit size rounds. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Try shaking it well and see if that doesn't dissolve the lumps.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    "When in doubt, throw it out."  Not worth taking chances.

BDL

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have to disagree with BDL for once - cream often has clumps.  Almost all the cream i buy has some clumps, usually near the top.  If it;s all white (not separated into a whey-like more transparent substance) it should be fine if it smells good and tastes good.

This applies to fresh cream, not to pastry cream, which can be very dangerous and not look or smell any different.  

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Since you said August,and that is far away  I assume this is an Ultra Pasteurized product? . If it is , it is common for it to do this. Usually it occurs when it sits and is subject to temperature change. We find this often in these products.Just shake or mix and lumps will go away and in most cases nothing wrong with it..