Can I use the liquid from cooking beets as a broth?

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Hi to all!

To make a beets salad I would wash the beets, cook them (roots) in my stove top pressure cooker 15-18 minutes, remove the skin with a paper towel, etc. The red liquid I when beets are cooked I would throw away. But it smells like beets to, nice red color... So, I was thinking to peel the beets, cook them (in a bit more water) and then use the liquid to make a soup (beet leaves and stalks, with rice or pasta).
Can I use the liquid as a broth for soup?

Thanks,
Afan

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I don’t see why you can’t use beet water as a soup base. With the beet greens it should be yummy. Only thing to consider is that the rice or pasta will become pink or red... might taste good but look weird.

Have you ever roasted beets? Wrap in foil and roast in 400 degF oven. About 45-60 minutes depending on size. Let cool until you can peel by rubbing with paper towel. Tastes better than boiled as none of the juice leaves the beet.

Joined Mar 18, 2013
I don’t see why you can’t use beet water as a soup base. With the beet greens it should be yummy. Only thing to consider is that the rice or pasta will become pink or red... might taste good but look weird.

Have you ever roasted beets? Wrap in foil and roast in 400 degF oven. About 45-60 minutes depending on size. Let cool until you can peel by rubbing with paper towel. Tastes better than boiled as none of the juice leaves the beet.
Yes, rice is getting pinkish, and with the "beet broths" will be probably red. But I'm cooking to myself, and I'm all taste-over-look :D
Or try wild (black) rice?

Roasted beets? Hm... Very good idea! Thanks. I'll do it next time for sure :)

Joined Mar 18, 2013
I'm roasting beets today.
Anybody has any recipe for beet leaves and stakes?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
In a pan with olive oil, add some garlic and sauté the stems. When about half cooked add the leaves. It helps if they have been freshly washed. Cover and let them steam until wilted. Then remove cover, cook off any remaining moisture, and correct salt/pepper. Enjoy!

Joined Mar 18, 2013
In a pan with olive oil, add some garlic and sauté the stems. When about half cooked add the leaves. It helps if they have been freshly washed. Cover and let them steam until wilted. Then remove cover, cook off any remaining moisture, and correct salt/pepper. Enjoy!
Thank you.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
After that, mix with ricotta and pecorino, use to fill ravioli. Serve with sliced beets and a little beet juice reduced to a glaze with butter.

Top Bottom