Can I Steam my frozen Veggies before Stir-Frying them?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by osamaru, Apr 6, 2019.

1. osamaru

osamaru

Exp:
    Mad Scientist.
    I like to use Frozen Veggies for my Stir-Fries; They last longer than fresh, are more nutritious and tend to come pre-prepped, meaning less work.

One big downside to using them however, is that they tend to be very... Moist, right out of the bag, adding a lot of moisture to your stir-fry and making them a little soft, without the nice stir-fry Snap.
    I've been think of ways to counter it, and thought of one, but not sure if it would work well.

Essentially, its as simple as lightly steaming the Veggies in a collapsible steamer over the Wok, letting all of that excess moister drip down into the Wok and evaporate while shocking the veggies, then quickly draining it, and adding the Veggies right to the Wok after.

I know that lightly steaming can give them a slight snap, but I've never tried it like this. As anyone done anything similar? Did it work well?

I Know Steam Frying does the opposite, Steaming already Stir-fried veggies to make them more tender, but I'm not sure if this other method is viable.

2. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    When I do green string beans I usually blanch fresh beans for 3-4 minutes in salted water then cool quickly in ice water.
    They can hold for a couple hours in the fridge, covered..then usually toss them in butter (& garlic) on a hot teflon fry pan...
    Might try freezing them individually ..after blanching ..on a non-stick cookie sheet .. next to the blower in the freezer..often works for me..

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Why not thaw the frozen veggies in the fridge overnight in a colander? Then dry them with paper towels before adding them to the stir-fry.

rpooley likes this.
  4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Microwave steamer? That could work.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don’t think that would work. Steaming them allows water to penetrate the veggies, not drip down.

Your best bet is to flash fry them making sure you’re only stir frying one veggie at a time. I do this with fresh veggies too, I only stir fry one at a time.

6. toddhicks209

toddhicks209

Exp:
    amateur, food blogger
    It's vital to boil hard or stringy vegetables such as carrots, okra and zucchini before frying them in order to soften them up.

7. ktanasy

ktanasy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator

I can’t imagine why you would use frozen vegetables in a stir-fry. Fresh vegetables are so much better for this. Don’t be lazy, do it good.

Vjan and french fries like this.
  8. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    frozen vegetables have odd texture. the quality loss isnt worth the convenience for stir fry where the quality of ingredients is paramount to the result.

ktanasy and french fries like this.
  9. Vjan

Vjan

Exp:
    Professional cook
    Frozen vegetables tend to get over cooked way more than fresh therefore, losing more of the nutritional value. Why are you thinking that frozen have more nutritional value than fresh?

i agree with Chefross. If you are going to use frozen (convenience), thaw them overnight in the fridge in some type of strainer so they are not sitting in the water that leeches out.

rpooley likes this.
  10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I briefly steam broccoli before adding to the wok it softens them enough to be tender crisp, but not be raw tasting. Peppers, scallion, garlic, etc. don't need the steaming. I never put carrots, or celery in my stir fry - I've never had authentic stir fry with it and it just looks like cheap carry out IMHO.

11. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    He's using frozen vegetables because that is what works for him.

12. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    One thing you'll learn about ChefTalk is that half the answers have nothing to do with your question.....

13. ktanasy

ktanasy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Good for him.
    It’s not doing much good for the people consuming it.

14. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You're right. Maybe instead of frozen vegetables, he can give them Lunchables. Or maybe Chef Boy R Dee.

15. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you insist on using frozen vegetables, I would do as suggested above and thaw them, in a colander, overnight, in the fridge. I wouldn't add another cooking procedure to it. It's just going to damage the vegetables even more. The problem with using frozen vegetables is that they tend to be cooked too much, before freezing, to get a good end product in your stir fry. No matter how you treat them, they just aren't going to cook up as nicely as fresh vegetables or taste as good. I don't know where in the world you are, but here, in the US, you can buy a lot of fresh vegetables already cut up, in the produce section. Sure you pay a premium for them, but I think it is a much better option than frozen, for your stir fry. In general, I am not opposed to frozen vegetables, especially for home use, but there are things they are good for and things they are not. Stir fry is not really a good place to use them, in my opinion, and your stir fry quality will be greatly enhanced by the use of fresh veggies, but if you must use frozen then use the method above for the best chance.

16. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I think I know where you're coming from. Frozen gb are so green and plump looking, and have their own thing. Follow Pete here and place them on a wire rack in the fridge to thaw, perhaps for a couple days, perhaps even more. You'll loose some moisture this way.