Can I make Tahini out of sesame seeds at home?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, May 3, 2017.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So I have about five pounds of sesame seeds.

I don't see myself using it all very soon, in fact, it could probably last me twenty years the way I use them.

So I guess what I'm asking is if there is a way I can make it into tahini using my basic home equipment?

2. chef brah

chef brah

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Instructions
    1. Heat a clean, dry cast iron or heavy duty skillet over medium high heat and add the sesame seeds. Stir frequently until they begin to turn golden brown and then stir constantly. Be careful, sesame seeds burn very easily.
    2. Once they're toasted, let them cool a few minutes then add them to a food processor.
    3. Start by adding 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Process the mixture into a paste, scraping down the sides. Add more olive oil until you reach the desired consistency (*see Note)
    4. Makes a little less than ¾ cup tahini paste, depending on how much olive oil you use.
    5. Store the tahini paste in the refrigerator in an airtight jar. Will keep for several months.
    I love to make hummus..so thats how i do it

kuan likes this.
  3. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I'm with Chef Brah.  Only thing is he didn't state amount of sesame seeds, but listed 3 tblspn oil.  I find the trick is just adding a little oil at a time until desired consistancy.  Also, I use grapeseed oil instead of olive, but other than that, spot on.  However, I doubt you will be able to get 5lbs of sesame seeds into a home food processor.  Might have to do batches.

Perfect for hummus or Tahina sauce for shawarma, etc.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    ...grilled/smokey eggplant dip... (been making a lot of that here lately)

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I would personally get them ot of the hot skillet and onto a baking sheet to cool as quickly as possible.  Let us know how it turns out.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why do they need to be toasted?

7. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    They don't "need" to be toasted.  It will just bring out a better flavor.  Like roasting pine nuts for pesto, or spices for curries, etc.  It will be much richer and nuttier.  Just make sure not to burn them.  Then it will be bad.

Try both ways.  See for yourself.