Can I freeze gruyere cheese?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cabosailor, Jul 12, 2010.

1. cabosailor

cabosailor

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A friend just gave me a humongous chunk of gruyere.  Roughly 8 in square.  Now gruyere happens to be one of my favorite cooking cheeses but there is no way I can use it all before going bad and its dang expensive cheese.  My plan is to cut it into smaller chunks and vacuum package using a food saver.  What I was wondering is if I can freeze the vacuum packed chunks without harm and if so, for how long?

Thanks,

Rich

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    you sure can. I have 4 lbs frozen in my freezer now. it does dry it a bit, but it still has great flavor and melts great on french onion or on burgers.

3. cookpiper

cookpiper

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yes, you can freeze the remaining portion but the texture will not be the same yet it's good for melting into sauces. Well wrapped it (eg. zip-loc freezer bag) should last at least 6 months. It won't be as good as it was fresh. But it's still better than letting it go to waste.

4. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think you can freeze just about any hard or semi-hard cheese. Not sure about cheese like brie. I am sure you can but the texture probably isn't quite the same.

5. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have frozen brie as well, it's okay when it comes out. Just whatever you do, DO NOT freeze cottage cheese or sour cream.