Can citrus/acid marinades have adverse affects on poultry?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by eastshores, Aug 30, 2011.

1. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've got some chicken breasts sitting in the fridge in a mojo marinade. They are destined for the lump coals a bit later. I've seen before the effect of the acid cooking the chicken and was curious is there a consensus on whether that is good/bad/indifferent? I'm not afraid of a loss of texture or anything like that, but whether the acid cooking prior to grilling might cause the outer meat to be tough?

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have always found that the length f time marinated is biggest factor. Sugar or sweet ingredients  will cause outside to be tougher.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Not so much tough as mushy if you over marinade chicken in acid.

4. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanks. I only went about 2 hours. I would like to get one of the marinading containers for my food saver to see what difference it might make on the shorter length marinades.

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Citrus acids and other "tenderizers" derived from papaya and pineapple will turn the meat mushy if allowed to sit longer than a few hours.

If you want citrus flavour, use the zest or use citrus oils in your marinade

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Save your $ put in a plastic bag to marinade and then you have   nothing to wash. Clean and fast