Can Basil leaves stay fresh in takeaway?

Joined May 18, 2021
Hi lovely people. This is my first post in CT. I need to have some quick clarification about basil leaves. I will be making spaghetti and a linguine dish and will be delivering it to a customer staying 45 mins away. I plan to use a few basil leaves in the sauce and also sprinkle fresh ones on top of the pasta. What is the best way to keep the basil leaves fresh till it reaches the customer?

Joined Apr 26, 2012
45 minutes is not too bad for basil. But will this be in some kind of warmer when you transport it? If this will be in a warmer or something, you may want to add the basil when you arrive at the destination to give it a fresh appearance. 45 minutes under heat will wilt the basil slightly.

Joined May 18, 2021
45 minutes is not too bad for basil. But will this be in some kind of warmer when you transport it? If this will be in a warmer or something, you may want to add the basil when you arrive at the destination to give it a fresh appearance. 45 minutes under heat will wilt the basil slightly.
Hi. Yes. It will be in a food delivery container. And I would not be delivering it. I will just hand it over to a delivery guy. So cannot put the basil before arrival. If I soak the basil leaves in olive oil for a few minutes and add them to the warm sauce before closing the container, then will it help??

Joined Apr 26, 2012
Putting basil in olive oil will not prevent any wilting of the leaves. The heat and moisture of the food is what will affect your basil. The only thing I can think of that you can do is maybe place the basil in a separate container outside the warm container. 45 minutes in a warm environment will wilt your basil.

Joined May 18, 2021
Putting basil in olive oil will not prevent any wilting of the leaves. The heat and moisture of the food is what will affect your basil. The only thing I can think of that you can do is maybe place the basil in a separate container outside the warm container. 45 minutes in a warm environment will wilt your basil.
Understood. Thanks a lot for your help

Joined Apr 26, 2012
Also, just curious... how do you plan to handle the pasta? Will you add sauce to it? 45 minutes is a long time to try to keep it from over cooking. And holding it without anything will cause it to stick together.

Joined May 18, 2021
Also, just curious... how do you plan to handle the pasta? Will you add sauce to it? 45 minutes is a long time to try to keep it from over cooking. And holding it without anything will cause it to stick together.
You're right. Before the basil, I was worried about that part only. So considering 45 min, I'll drain the pasta even before the Al-Dente stage. Secondly, I'll not mix the pasta with super hot sauce. I'd rather let the sauce sit and become a little warm then mix pasta and sauce and pack it up in the containers

Joined Jan 8, 2010
How about making some pesto and delivering that with the meal instead of the fresh basil leaves?

Latest posts

Top Bottom