Can anyone tell me what type of cake this is?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kavioli, Mar 11, 2013.

1. kavioli

kavioli

Exp:
    At home cook

Yes its a birthday cake but does anyone know what type?

Thank you!!

2. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It looks like the fruit-topped layer cakes they sell at a Swedish bakery in my neighborhood. They don't have any special name that I know of.

They are typically yellow cakes with a layer of jam spread between the layers and a glazed fruit or mixed fruit topping. The frosting is a whipped cream frosting with something added to keep the cream stable.

http://www.swedishbakery.com/site/epage/27312_222.htm

3. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It looks like it could be one of those Berry Chantilly cakes like from Whole Foods. Divine.

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    It depends on the white outside.  It looks to me a little like a Spanische Windtorte such as is on the cover of the time life cooking of vienna's empire cookbook.  It's a more refined version of a pavlova - made of a base of meringue, then rings of meringue built up around the edges, baked separately and then "glued" together with more meringue to make a sort of basket, and then filled with fruit and whipped cream.  I made it once, and it's incredible, but a lot of work and somewhat tricky because the meringue rings tend to break when you try to stack them etc. 

Another possibiloity is an angel cake baked in a tube pan, the inside filled with fruit and then frosted outside with whipped cream.