Can anyone recommend an inexpensive vacuum sealer?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by chrislehrer, Nov 19, 2017.

1. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I love sous vide cooking, but I've been doing it exclusively with water displacement. Time to upgrade to real vacuum sealing--but which machine?

For home use
    Not expensive
    Durable

Planning to ask as a Christmas present.

Ideas?

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Anything FoodSaver is reliable and affordable. Anything cheaper than this won't do a good job.

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    The price of vac sealers went thru the roof when SV hit the scene.
    Like the price of skirt steak (fajitas) and brisket (BBQ) as soon as the sales went up the price followed.
    Supply and demand I 's'pose.
    Back OT...my FoodSaver has been in use for 12 years and other than a hiccup with the heat sealer thingee has been a real workhorse.
    Valuable asset in my war on the grocery budget.
    I will recommend buying a model with the least plastic parts if there is such an animal.

mimi

4. mmillion00

mmillion00

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have an Oliso Vacuum sealer that I absolutely love! It provides far more suction than any of the food savers and is very compact and easy to use. Highly highly recommended.

5. Shadokat

Shadokat

Exp:
    Home cook
    THANK YOU chrislehrer for posting this topic! I have the exact same question.

The maximum I have to spend on a vacuum sealer is $60 not including extra bags. I have never done sous vide cooking but if I had a vacuum sealer I might try it. There are many FoodSaver models that fall within my budget. Which one should I pick? And if not a FoodSaver.... ?????

Thank you anyone who cares to reply.