Can anyone reccomend a good curry recipe book?

Joined Apr 4, 2012
I'm so excited to hear good things about both the Pat Chapman and Rick Stein books. That Rick Stein book has something like 550 customer reviews on Amazon UK. It comes out here in the US in May and the company I work for will be it's US distributor--as it is for a few Pat Chapman books, which means big discounts for me! I hardly need another Indian cookbook but I do love cooking Indian food.

Joined Jan 2, 2007
The Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon is my go to book for curry. It recreates the authentic British curry taste. The most important part is making the base "gravy". If that is not right then none of your curry dishes will be right.

Joined Dec 1, 2014
Yes, I agree mmichalis Pat Chapman's curry bible and Balti bible are excellent authentic curry  recipe books.  He also has a curry club for enthusiasts.  

Joined May 19, 2014
I have a book entitled 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. Published in 2008 by Workman Publishing. Very interesting. Over 800 pages and covers everything from sauces to sandwiches.

Joined Dec 1, 2013

India The Cookbook
I understand this is a very old thread, but I just thought I'd second this recommendation; I bought the book on a whim without reading any reviews, and I certainly don't regret it!

It's not glamorous by any means and offers few photos, but what it does provide is an arsenal of recipes to create a true Indian meal with a variety of dishes and condiments. Myself and my party were creating a little spread once a week from this book - was great!

My one and only issue with it: the paneer recipe is off! You need to double the amount of vinegar/acid/lemon juice used. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Joined Feb 21, 2019
Paneer cheese is a very common ingredient used in Indian Kitchens. It is used to make a variety of lip-smacking dishes like:

1. Paneer Kofta: They are small rounds of stuffed paneer, with ingredients like khoya and raisins added to increase the aromatic flavours. I got the recipe of this lip-smacking dish from one of the small Dhabas in Dehradun called Sampoorna Bhojan ( Sampoorna = full and Bhojan is cuisine)

2. Matar Paneer

Matar Paneer is an exotic North-Indian dish that boasts of lip-smacking ingredients like Paneer and a gravy made up of peas, tomatoes and a hoard of Indian spices. The dish goes well with both rice and Indian bread (naan)

3. Kadai Paneer:

Kadai Paneer is a popular Indian delicacy that is made up of paneer added to a gravy of kadai masala. You can find a lot of variations of this dish all over India, with the ingredients of kadai masala varying from region to region. It is one of the most popular dishes for Indian weddings and parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined Jan 9, 2019
I agree with earlier recommendations about Pat Chapman. He's the Godfather of BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curries. For a slightly more modern take, there's Dan Toombs, "The Curry Guy", who is pretty much following the same path as Chapman did decades ago. (I have several books from both.)

I'm not a fan of watching The Hairy Bikers on the telly. (Far too much scripting and if Si King says "dude" one more time I'd like to punch him in the face.) However, their books are really excellent. They have one entitled "Great Curries", which contains recipes from various countries. It's worth a look. (I'm in love with their Asian Adventure book.)

For more authentic Indian curries, Camellia Panjabi's "50 Great Curries of India" is good.

Having spent many years in Asia, I can say that the "authentic" food (ie that eaten by the locals) bears little or no resemblance to the food served in UK restaurants purporting to be Indian/Thai/whatever. Sure, some Asian ingredients are hard to source in some areas but the average British person has very definite expectations about what they want from a curry and that tends not to coincide with the taste of the real thing.

Joined Aug 20, 2010
I second Pushpesh Pant, great book. Also, I recently purchased Indian Cookery Course by Monisha Bharadwaj, great at explaining the techniques used.

Top Bottom