Can any instant coffee be taken seriously?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by oregonyeti, Mar 10, 2015.

1. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I don't think instant coffee can be considered great by anyone who knows better. But if for some reason you have to settle with instant, I think this is a good option:

I learned about if from a Singaporean engineer here in Oregon. I was surprised that I really liked it. It's not like fresh espresso, but it's way better than most instant coffees.

Does anyone else have a recommendation for those difficult times when you can't get the real thing?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    That Starbucks stuff you get in the tube is pretty good.  I keep a few of those on me when I go travelling.

3. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I will have to try that.

4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I rather drink tea, if I can't get the real stuff!

With other words, I have not yet found any instant coffee I like. Limited choice here as well. The best here is probably nescafe, so tea it is .

5. carsaniss303

carsaniss303

Exp:
    At home cook
    Long ago I used to drink some instant coffee. But since I drink ground coffee, I know the difference. So can't imagine, that any instant version tastes as well as the ground coffee.

6. happyhound

happyhound

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Depends on your needs. I once drove for 32 hours straight through Mexico. Fuelled by nothing but Nescafe (the van was fuelled by gasoline/petrol lol). Horrible stuff but man-oh-man does it keep you awake!

7. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    When traveling places where coffee is difficult to find and there's no chance to get an expresso, i usually buy Nescafe Gold and mix it with hot milk for a quick café au lait breakfast.

Its a drinkable fiction.

oregonyeti likes this.