Can a pastry chef not make their own business but work with other people's bakery instead?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by Chewie, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:43 PM.

1. Chewie

Chewie

Exp:
    w
    Can a pastry chef not make their own business but work with other people's business bakery/ cafe/ instead?

and
    Are their bakeries or other businesses that hires pastry chefs that does not have their own business but has obtained great skills in making pastries?

2. Chewie

Chewie

Exp:
    w
    and as well has obtained a great portfolio of cakes made?

3. Chewie

Chewie

Exp:
    w
    -->
    and as well has obtained a great portfolio of cakes made?and as well has obtained a great portfolio of cakes made?

4. CoffeeHouseMom

CoffeeHouseMom

Exp:
    I plan to open a coffee shop in the fall and I'm looking for a baker/pastry chef who would be interested in a limited partnership. I may end up just hiring someone instead, but a partnership could be advantageous for both of us. I haven't quite figured out how to find the perfect match. So, yes, there are businesses that would hire or partner with someone with your skills.

5. jcakes

jcakes

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you are a pastry chef who wants to have a business on the side making cakes, that's possible to do. You must be honest with the shop you are hired at to make sure you are not taking business from them; and that you realize the work you do for them creating cakes - those cakes belong to the shop and you should make that understood if you post on social media. Cakes you do on your own are yours. The shop should not post them as their work.

If you are asking if bakeries hire pastry chefs who are also cake artists, yes they do. Someone who can do both pastry work AND cake work is more valuable than someone with one skill set; or someone who can only decorate (but not make pastry staples such as buttercream, curd, pastry cream, etc)

6. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus