Cambodian Cuisine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by user1halkybod, Jan 7, 2014.

1. user1halkybod

user1halkybod

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of authentic Cambodian cuisine. I am moving over later in the month and I have heard and read a l of different things about the food and what is considered authentic.
    For example, most articles I read on the food culture always mention the consumption of insects and spiders, yet I have also heard from reliable sources that this is really nothing more than a tourist trap and not considered to be a local delicacy at all.
    It's also my understanding that a lot of the food culture was lost during the genocide of the late 1970s and since the rapid increase I tourism to the area has meant that more tourists are being dated for I was wondering, are the traditional recipes and ways of cooking being kept alive or are they disappearing into history.
    I intend to find out as much as I can when I get there bu I am interested to hear of any experience that anyone on here may have with Cambodian food.
    Opinions also welcome :)

2. irishundaground

irishundaground

Exp:
    Home Cook
    If you're still looking for info on authentic Cambodian food, I suggest you contact Bopha Samms, chef-owner of Stir Crazy.  She's really nice!

You can get her contact info on the restaurant website:

http://www.stircrazyrestaurant.com/index.html

Hope to see some posts from you when you get to Cambodia!