calm the vinegar down

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by magkcbw, Dec 10, 2004.

1. magkcbw

magkcbw

Hello, I have a quick question. I made chicken savoy for 60 last night and while I think its fantastic, its for an older crowd and I'm nervous that they might think its too vinegary. I would think that just adding some sugar would tame it, but I don't want to make it sweet at all. Is sugar the right thing or is there another trick I can use?

Thanks!!

cb

2. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Acids are canceled out by bases. That's the premise behind chemical leavening. You can add some baking soda to remove the vinegary taste, but be aware that it will fizz.

Also, you can cook it longer. The acids are in vinegar are volatile and will be driven off with prolonged cooking

3. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Well, the original question was about toneing down the vinagar in a finished sauce. I don't know. Having just read a dozen recipies for this dish and no two the same, I don't know how much vinagar of what type you used at what point in the cook.

I can sugest this. The very first recipie I read used the vinagar as a garnish only at the time of serving (no vinagar at all in the cooking). It used balsamic vinagar. There are varying grades of balsamic, the finest can be drunk strait. Of course you are paying for that quality. But the better the balsamic the less like vinagar it is.

So, if you do this dish again where the taste of the vinagar may be too much for your audience, concider using a good quality of a balsamic vinagar as a garnish at the time of serving. I would imagine that you could even do it while being seved the same as black pepper. "Would that be one swirl or to madame?"