Calling All Home Cooks: Rate Yourself

Joined Dec 30, 2015
I have three questions for all you non-pros out there.

1. How would you perform in a show like Chopped or Masterchef USA, etc?
2. What is your greatest strength?
3. What is your greatest weakness?

I'll go first:

1. I don't have the versatility these contestants have. I marvel at their ability.
2. I can re-create dishes I've tasted in restaurants. I can identify subtle off-flavors & textures, shortcut or prepared ingredients in cuisines I cook in.
3. I don't work well under pressure.

Your turn.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
@drirene that is an impressive strength! There are pros that I bet don’t habe the ability to do that.

Ok I’ll play
1. If I were to go on master chef or some such competition I could see myself getting through the preliminary rounds. I doubt I would make it on to the show.

2. My strength is that I make cohesive menus and have learned to avoid pitfalls like making too much of something.

3. Too many weaknesses to list. I’m limited to my Mediterranean palate. It’s the only food I cook. I have an intense love for Japanese food but beyond that I don’t eat much Asian food.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
@drirene that is an impressive strength! There are pros that I bet don’t habe the ability to do that.

Ok I’ll play
1. If I were to go on master chef or some such competition I could see myself getting through the preliminary rounds. I doubt I would make it on to the show.

2. My strength is that I make cohesive menus and have learned to avoid pitfalls like making too much of something.

3. Too many weaknesses to list. I’m limited to my Mediterranean palate. It’s the only food I cook. I have an intense love for Japanese food but beyond that I don’t eat much Asian food.

If you think you are limited, then I am in real bad shape. I'm impressed with your posts and wish I had your scope. And, gee whiz, since when is Mediterranean food a limit? Lol!
Unless your tests come out clean, I'm eager to learn about gf Mediterranean from you.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
  1. I have no idea. I've never watched it enough to judge that. What I've read about the contract, I would never sign it. So I'd never be on it.
  2. I have excellent recall for what I've read and seen.so I can pick up details quickly.
  3. In cooking, I really don't bake to any degree. No skills there. Or maybe the interest is lacking so I don't develop the skills.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I bet I could do well on the Worst Home Cooks show. Actually a few people that have eaten my food have commented that I could do well on Master Chef. I am hosting my 5th ChefTalk Challenge, so I do well in that venue. Probably would not do well on faster paced shows like Chopped.

Turning 64 soon, so I do have a lot of experience, a pretty good basic understanding of spices, herbs and seasonings, willing to try new ideas and work on cuisines unfamiliar to me, those are strengths.

Weaknesses would probably include thinking on my feet under pressure, which is critical to performing well in such shows. And I have no idea how I would look on camera.

big_whisk.jpg

mjb.

Joined Nov 2, 2017
I think I could take the title on Worst Home Cooks. Unlike teamfat, I'm still working on herb, spice, and seasonings. I'll try a lot of things, but it takes time to get it all down pat.

Typically not good thinking under pressure since I'm still learning. Might be fun to try, but I don't expect myself to get far.

Great topic though.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Let me give this a try

1) I think I would do lousy on any of those shows.
I don't like my picture taken and I definitely would hate being followed by a camera

2) Strong in improvising and a pretty decent knowledge in herbs and spices. Pretty open to new ideas and new tastes/flavours

3) terrible at plating. Even worse on deserts (except for Irish coffee)

Quite a funny subject @direne :)

Joined May 3, 2015
Ok. Here it goes.
1. Uhmmm... I would probably last few rounds until I am eliminated. Maybe 2 to 3 weeks.
2. Pretty open to new ideas, flavor combinations, and can taste what is missing, overpowering a dish. Strong at improvising. Have a good knowledge of spices and still learning how to combine with fresh herbs. Start with a base recipe or a ratio to where my taste buds tell me to go. I am considered a great baker. Then when I started working as a cook - I guess I can learn and progress too with guidance and constructive feedback.
3. Weaknesses can be my strengths to develop as a better cook and chef. Working under pressure. Need a list of things to do, or I am going to get distracted and sidetracked.
This is an interesting topic.

Joined Oct 23, 2008
1. I think that I would do well on chopped but that is largely because I've watched that show since it came out and it may all be in my head. I am sure that under pressure it would be quite difficult but I feel like I have enough technique down that I could work with most of the ingredients.

2. I'd say my greatest strength is experience and desire to gain more. Over the years I've tried to stretch my own abilities by seeking out new cuisines or techniques and challenging myself to explore them. That includes everything from catching my own fish and growing my own produce to things like learning to make fresh pasta, pickling, baking, etc.

3. My greatest weakness I'd say is being so driven by creative aspirations. If I am not in the mood I can fall into a slump pretty easily.

Joined Jun 21, 2015
Chopped: lucky if I pass the first round. Masterchef: might make 2 or 3 rounds
Worst Cooks: would probably do okay, if I can pass the requirements to get in

Improv on the fly. Ability to cope with last minute changes of ingredients
Taste and adjust - or throw something else entirely in and have it not suck :rolleyes:
I've been told I plan well - I guess I can, when planning a large event (wall charts are our friends)

Not planning (everyday stuff) and getting sidetracked. Most things don't finish together

Joined Mar 3, 2014
I would fail miserably.
I know what I like to eat and have figured out how to satisfy my tastes.
Cooking for others.

Joined Apr 25, 2011
1) It would be luck of the draw for me. Some of the challenges I would excel, but most of them I would fail miserably.

2) Bravery. I'm not afraid to try or make anything and am not intimidated by unfamiliar ingredients or techniques. Never embarrassed to admit I don't know something and always eager to learn.

3) Not playing well with others. In a pro kitchen I can work with a team quite well as a leader or follower, but do not take well to people that can't handle their weight. In a home kitchen, I need to keep everybody out or I'm going to lose friends or family.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
1. On a game show I would be killed by my intense dislike of high pressure cooking. Also I don't buy into a number of common assumptions many of the judges have about authenticity and tradition, and that'd hurt.

2. I have a very wide range and excellent memory. My menus would tend to be extremely varied and unusual.

3. Pressure, as noted. Also desserts and baking: I'm happy with a piece of fruit, and otherwise rely on trustworthy recipes, as a rule.

Joined Apr 11, 2018
Never watched Chopped so IDK. MasterChef, my family and friends seem to think I could compete but I'm a bit more realistic, don't think I'd get far. Plus I don't really have a personality that makes good TV.

That's a tough one but I'll go for time management. Home cooks tend to work at a more casual pace than pros but I move quickly and efficiently. Along those lines, I'm also good at cooking a variety of dishes simultaneously and have them all plate at the same time. Twice each week for dinner I'm doing two portions each of three completely different meals, all finished together.

Like others, desserts and baking. I'm into savory.

Top Bottom