Cake yeast vs dry instant yeast?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by mudbug, Jan 3, 2001.

1. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    A recent Cook's Illustrated did an article on yeasts. I am wondering what you use and why. Which do you like better. In your own experience, is there a flavor, texture, etc. difference? What are the best places (in your town) to look for cake yeast? (I know... you can order from King Arthur's.)

2. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    cchiu,
    I use dry instant yeast because it's easy to store, works like the dickens and keeps a long time without ill effects. As far as flavor I find that comes from the proofing and weather or not you use a sponge or sour.

I buy a two pound bag and keep the unused portion in covered plastic containers.

I also have a cesspool waste system and I send some yeast down the drain every month. This keeps the system organically working.

3. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Unused portion stays in the cooler.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    M Brown...I just knew there we're benefits to dry yeast....Gotta keep the pipes clean.
    [​IMG]
    cc

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Never heard of that.

I use dry yeast, and believe that there truly is no difference in the final product, whether you use dry or fresh.

6. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You can either use a small amout of the liquid to slurry your yeast and add it later or in the case of some advaced instant yeast products, you can add directly to the dough. I like to develope the dough with the yeast and wait on the salt to give the yeast a chance to get a good start in the bowl.

7. isa

isa

Cchiu,

Do you know the results of the tests the did? I'm curious to hear what they had to say on yeast.

Thanks

8. seattledeb

seattledeb

I'm curious---did the Cook's article say what the best yeast was?