Cake Pop troubleshooting part three

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by jtbosslady101, Mar 15, 2017.

1. jtbosslady101

jtbosslady101

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ok so my question is this .... do you dip the stick then insert while balls are still room temp or do you insert stick with chocolate into balls that been in fridge ? Room temp vs fridge .... or do u prefer using freezer vs refridge ?

2. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Place cake balls on cookie sheet WITHOUT sticks
    Chill in refrigerator-- I really do not recommend freezing
    Insert the stick just before dipping

A trick that I've not used, but I know some who have, is to first dip the tip of the stick in to the candy melts . Then insert the stick into the cake ball. But do not dip the cake ball yet. Place the cake balls in the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes. This will allow the candy melt on the stick to fuse to the cake ball.

3. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I forgot to mention that when you dip your cake ball dip straight in and pull straight out do not swirl it around. If you swirl it you're going to knock the cake ball loose. If the ball cannot be completely submerged into the candy melts tilt the cup for side to side if the candy melt is fluid enough to flow. If not fluid. then very gently tilt the stick from side to side. But whatever you do do not swirl that cake pop in the candy melts

4. jtbosslady101

jtbosslady101

Exp:
    At home cook
    You are a genius! I can not wait to post the pics up on Friday !!!! Soooo excited now that I have a clear foundation! Thank you for being extremely helpful

5. jtbosslady101

jtbosslady101

Exp:
    At home cook
    So my dipping got way better this time BUT ALL I had to use for chocolate was Wilton ughhh bad idea but I made it work ... it just seem like it that chocolate won't thin out ... second def going to use powder coloring next time and def not gel that was a no no .... i got my cake balls down to the right amount of icing and cake !!! But yea gotta work on getting better chocolate .... the advice u all offer on just straight dipping worked perfect!!!! M

6. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Woo Hoo! The cake pops look great. Love the colors!

pretty much the entire cake decorating universe will agree that Wilton candy melts totally suck. Wilton makes a slightly cheaper product, but that small cost savings means a significant loss in quality. Most bakers prefer to pay for a better quality product.

Insofar as food coloring goes, in applications where color quality isn't a priority (e.g., if you are not trying to match a color) then Wilton colors work. But Americolor is far superior.

Some Wilton colors are just outright worthless. Wilton reds and black are two colors that will never be true. You can dump an entire bottle of Wilton red in and it will still be pink.

https://www.americolorcorp.com/products/

jtbosslady101 likes this.
  7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Santa ;-) left a gift card from Amoretti.com in my stocking.

I ordered a range of products and found the swirls to be a nice way to not only flavor but color... so far have only done cheesecake but planning ice cream for Easter ...

They also offer oil based coloring pastes which may be useful for your cake ball icings.

Kinda pricey but hey...if it saves product from the disposal bin the price evens out eventually IME.

mimi

OBTW...I saw that Amazon carries this brand.

Have not taken a lookie loo as to FC % but have on my list to check in the future as I spent every penny on that card (plus some lol).

m.

8. norcalbaker59

norcalbaker59 Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I don't know why Guittard coating chocolate is so difficult to find given their other chocolates are readily available. I like Guittard coating and I love their wafers when I need couverture. I've never failed to temper Guittard.

I've purchased from World Wide Foods Divine Specialties. They are ligit. Their prices are competitive on most items. If you use fondant, I can say they carry the better brands. And I've never found a better price on Carma Massa fondant.

https://www.divinespecialties.com/product/guittard-a-peels-white-wafers/

jtbosslady101 likes this.