Cake/Pizza Lifter

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by lotuscakestudio, Apr 9, 2002.

1. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    A while ago, my friend came back from Germany with one of these things and now I want one and I can't find it! There is no name brand on it so it's been hard to find. For those of you who aren't familiar with cake/pizza lifters (also called pizza peels), they're stainless steel or wooden circular or square shaped pan with handles used to lift the item. All I can find are wooden or stainless steel ones. The one my friend had was exactly what I need. It was non-stick with a wooden handle on the side you can grip on to. The ones I'm finding have long handles like frying pans, which are OK for pizza, but not for cakes. One of them had a grip type handle (rolled stainless steel), but the pan itself wasn't non-stick.

With some of my cakes, I can't freeze them for easier handling so stacking layers (especially for the bottom tiers of wedding cakes) is a big production. My make shift lifter right now is a 16" cardboard circle covered with contact paper. The cake layer generally slides right off and onto where I need it. But the cardboard bends and I have to fold part of it over at the edge to help make it sturdy and form some sort of handle. After I use a circle a few times, it's so bent up that I have to throw it out which is such a waste.

If anyone has seen one of these things, PLEASE let me know! Or if you have some crafty cousin who can make one, that would work too.

2. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hi, Lotus, KA has something they call a 'Giant spatula', but it's only 10 x 10". Does your friend remember where in Germany she got it? Maybe you could write them and order one.

3. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My friend got her cake lifter as a gift so she said the best she can do is to look around for one the next time she's in Germany.

I went to check out the "giant spatula" and it's the one I mentioned that I saw on another site. (But it was cheaper on the other site, hehe). Why couldn't it just be non-stick? BAH! And a little bit bigger! If I find something that has at least the right size, I can try to make it nonstick by applying a teflon sheet to it. I'm going to email a picture to my brother. Maybe he can make one for me.