Cake Fixes

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kevinvilla, Dec 8, 2005.

1. kevinvilla

kevinvilla

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I have a recipe for chocolate praline cake. Really awesome cake, but I can never get it out of the pan without it falling apart. Either the cake gets a little dome at the top, so the second layer sags then breaks, or (more often) the cakes never come out of the pan in one piece- it tends to stick near the sides. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to either a) get the cake out in one piece or b) fix the cake when it breaks.

The recipe is here- http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/Chocol...eLayerCake.asp

Thanks!

2. blade55440

blade55440

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Um...have you tried lining the bottom of the cake pans with parchment and spraying em down with non-stick spray? (stupid question, but I had to ask)

If not, then try that, should help immensely, then all you have to do is cut it off the sides of the pan at most and it should come right out.

And if you think that's difficult to get out, try getting flourless chocolate cakes out without effectively melting them.

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Kevin,
    First, I would definately trim that dome down flat. If the dome is over the pan edge then do it right in the pan using the sidesw as guides.
    If your not papering the bottom then do so. Running a straight edge around the outside will help.
    Putting a flat surface directly on top of the pan and inverting it that way may also help.
    oops! just saw the link. Don't use paper but I would definately do this in a non stick cake pan.
    hth
    pan

4. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I've done this kind of cake with paper without any probs (sorry, panini), but a non-stick is good too. Seems a shame to ice this with whipped cream, since the glaze is built into the cake. It must be pretty when turned upside down. Definitely saw off the top with a serrated knife to prevent the layers from bowing, and run a metal spatula around the edge to help it out of the pan.

5. larcito

larcito

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi!

The best non stick agent I've ever used and I use on a daily basis is two parts pure vegetable shortening & one part corn starch, mix well together, melt and brush well onto your pans........no need for paper! Also allow to cool very well before depanning. For the bulge, drop your cake to a lower level in your oven and you could even add a smidgen more sugar to weight it down a little!

Hope this helps!