caesar salad dressing

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by katz, Oct 27, 2001.

1. katz

katz

:cool:

I know this is a very basic question but, I really need help.

I have to serve 25 people tomorrow at a private party and my assisstant backed out at the last minute.

She was in charge of salads,prep,etc.

My question- I REQUIRE a really good ceasar salad dressing using anchovy paste plus how to make the salad so that i can show someone else. I require enough for 25.

if you can help me with this you will save my life. thanks so much in advance. i will be checking back in at 9:30pm tonight.

hello everybody! KATZ

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know this post is way to late and I hope your party went well.

I do a Caeser dressing with plain yogurt instead of using raw eggs

I use a robot coupe to prepere it.

Mix 16 oz plain yogurt,10 anchovy fillets,2 tablespoons dijon mustard,6 cloves of garlic,the juice of two lemons.Kosher salt & milled pepper to taste. Start to proccess and drizzel in 2 cups of a good olive oil ,adjust the seasoning and thats it.
    cc

3. zombie_chef

zombie_chef

I have always used raw egg yolks to make mine but the yogurt dressing sounds very good. Just in case you want the "old standard" here is a recipe:

In a blender add:
    3 egg yolks
    juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons
    1 tbl. of anchovy paste or 3 anchovy filets,
    2 tsp. chopped garlic
    optional 1/4 cup grated parmesan
    mix well
    With blender on low or med drizzle in 1-1/2 cups virgin olive until desired consistancy.

As for the salad, ingredients include:
    Romaine lettuce, shredded or torn
    seasoned croutons
    grated parmesan
    Toss with dressing, serve

Enjoy

4. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I make mine a little different, Zombiechef. I use the same ingredients, and add fresh ground pepper at the end. Also, I make Caeser dressing in a Kitchenaid mixer, instead of a blender. It is neat to watch the oil/egg mix emusify. I also use good pure olive oil, since I find that good extra-virgin gives it too intense an olive flavor and tends to come out a little heavier. That is at work. At home, I do it in a wooden bowl with the rubbed garlic, and make my dressing in the bowl and toss the salad right into it. And don't skimp on the quality of your Parmesan. Its' the star of the show! Reggiano,yummm..........

5. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Uh....
    Ever heard of salmonella and campylobacter, guys?

There is a very good recipe for Caesar dressing in the Silver Palate New Basics cook book that does not use raw eggs.
    I would key it in for you, but my cookbook shelf fell off the wall yesterday and now they're all in stacks on the floor.:eek:
    Try that one, it's a winner.
    You can also subtitute 1 Tbs fine Dijon mustard for each yolk-it will emulsify just as well and add a bit more zip.

6. rock

rock

I have always used “oeuf mollet” as a ceasar base, blitzing with the other ingredients to produce a light emulision, then adjusted the consistency with a little light cream. I think this produces a lighter, fresher tasting dressing.
    I like the idea of the yoghurt version I’ll give that a try based on my current recipe.

Rock.

7. kimmie

kimmie

Created in the 1920s, it has not only outlasted other 'classics' from the period but has grown in popularity ever since. The most likely, and most accepted, story of its creation has Caesar (Cesar) Cardini, a restaurant owner and chef in Tijuana, Mexico (sometimes referred to as an Italian immigrant) preparing it for a group of Hollywood movie stars, after a long weekend party in the 1920s. (Some have pinpointed it to 1924; at least one story says is was a group traveling with the Prince of Wales on his tour of North America). Their departure was delayed by morning rain, supplies at the restaurant were running low after the weekend, and he had to whip up a meal for the group before their return to Hollywood (or it was late one night as some stories go).

Created on the spur of the moment with leftover ingredients. (Although several California restaurants claim to have invented it, few give credit to their stories).

The original contained Romaine (Cos) lettuce, coddled eggs, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, croutons, salt and pepper. No anchovies. Almost everyone agrees on this. No one really knows when the anchovies got in, but I feel the salad is a little flat without them. The anchovies should be mashed in as the dressing is made, so even those who dislike anchovies will enjoy this salad. (Dry or Dijon mustard and wine vinegar [red or white] are also frequently added ingredients).

Caesar salad is best when made fresh: freshly squeezed lemon juice, freshly mashed garlic cloves, freshly ground black pepper, fresh garlic croutons, and freshly grated cheese. The egg should be coddled, but a raw egg can be used. Our slight variation here at Blue Heaven Restaurant is to use key lime juice instead of lemon juice.

An acceptable dressing can also be made using tofu instead of the raw or coddled egg, if you have concern about salmonella. This should be made in a food processor to completely incorporate the tofu.

In the late 1990's, Caesar salads were made illegal in California, by a new health law banning the sale of any food that used raw eggs as an ingredient. Presumably there was a black market for the contraband salad. The law was soon revised and the situation remedied in 1998.

8. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I saw an interview with Julia Child where she told of the time her parents took her to Senor Cesar's resturant as a young girl. Cesar himself prepared his famous salad for them. Later in life Julia met with Cesar's grand daughter who gave her the original recipe (pretty much as Kimmie describes - sans anchovies.)
    The best dressing I ever tasted (and made) was created by Bradley Ogden. Apart from the usual garlic, egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice, this one has capers and anchovies - both mashed. Once you've tasted this one, it's hard to eat any other :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: And then there are the garlic/parmesan croutons to go with. Life just doesn't get any better than this.

Jock

9. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I have been to alot of restaurants recently who are pricing their dinner side caesar salad at $7....took me by surprise and I don't usually get sticker shocked.
    Seems as if it is a standard now around here, not just at chains but in independants too.

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    PeachCreek:

Which attachment do you use on your mixer for mixing the dressing: the wire whip or flat beater?

thanks,
    -T

11. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I use a wire whip, mediumish speed. Making sure not to over or underbeat the eggs keeps the dressing from breaking. I start beading my oil into the eggs as soon as they are pale-colored, but before any air starts to incorporate, MAYBE 30 seconds. I have my lemon juice, garlic and mashed anchovies there to add as soon as the oil is in as I think the acid in the lemon helps stablize the emulsion. I turn the mixer off as soon as it is mixed. Good luck.

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm a foodie and beating the eggs only 30 seconds at which point they'll turn pale...before air is incorporated...!!! Well, I have some learning to accomplish. Back to THE PROFESSIONAL CHEF.

13. ironchefatl

ironchefatl

Exp:
    Other
    I don't have much to add to the recipe part, but I thought since not many do anymore, you might be interested to know that the restaurant I work at still prepares thier ceasar salad tableside. We are the only restaurant in the Atlanta area at least. I have also heard what has been stated about no anchovie in ceasar, I believe the idea comes from the anchovie in worcesterchire sauce, but my personal prefrence is the extra kick. I will have to try the caper idea.

14. icedhazelnut

icedhazelnut

Exp:
    At home cook
    I tried the "original" recipe and it came out like mayonnaise!! Tasted good...but tooo ooooooo thick.....what went wrong?????
    I did it in a blender ...low..pulse....:confused: :confused: :confused:

15. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    That's because it contains the ingredients for mayonnaise (oil and egg yolk), which you super-emulsified in the blender. If you mix it with a fork or gently use a wire whisk, you can control the consistency better and avoid making mayo.

16. villagecakelady

villagecakelady

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If you ever get to North Bay Ontario Canada. Go to Churchill's The Loft. It is hands down the best caesar salad I have ever had!!!!....be prepared to pay big $$$ for dinner. But it was so freaking worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. deltadoc

deltadoc

I dont' remember where I got this recipe, but I think it was either Julia or Martha Stewart.

Caesar Cardini Caesar Salad with Croutons

Croutons:

8-10ozDe-crusted Italian Rustic Bread
    2TBSPButter
    2TBSPOlive Oil
    1/3tspCayenne
    ½tspBlack Pepper
    2clovesFresh Garlic Minced

Bake for 10 minutes @ 450 F.

Salad Dressing:

Mash together:

2clovesFresh Garlic
    1tspCoarse Salt
    4eachAnchovy Fillets

Whisk in:

1tspBlack Pepper
    1tspWorcestershire Sauce
    ½tspCoarse Mustard
    1eachEgg Yolk
    1TBSPFresh Lemon Juice

Whisk in:

1/3COlive Oil

Salad:

1HeadRomaine Lettuce (inner leaves) Washed and Dried with a towel, Hand Torn into pieces
    Croutons from above
    ½CupFreshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
    Dressing from Above

Serve with a fresh grating of Black Pepper

doc