cabbage soup

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gbhunter1977, Nov 4, 2013.

1. gbhunter1977

gbhunter1977

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Its a Polish favorite. If you make it, what stock do you use? Me personally like chicken stock but to keep it health I sometimes go with veggie soup. Also other than cabbagee what veggies do you use other than cabbage of course? I use bay leaf,a roe,carrots,shallots and smaller a mount of celery, also crumbled bacon and pre boiled red skin potatoes.
    I'm oben to suggestion.

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My favorite is a cabbage, bratwurst and potato soup.  I like that quite well.

If you want to go with a total health focus, this one is a good launchin point, though I'd go with fresh vegies over some of her dried convenience items.

http://www.zonya.com/pdf/recipes/Miracle_Soup.pdf

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I make this cabbage soup - I used to eat it at Ratners on the lower east side of Manhattan when I lived there in the '80s.

1 small head green cabbage cored and shredded
    1(1 lb 12 oz) can tomatoes chopped and undrained
    2 cups tomato puree
    1 qt water
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon sour salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 egg yolks
    1/2 cup sour cream
    in a large kettle combine all ingredients except for egg yolks and sour cream. cover and simmer for 45 min. in a small bowl beat egg yolks and sour cream. gradually beat in 1 cup of the hot soup. stir the egg mixture into the remaining soup and continue stirring to prevent curdling. correct seasonings. may be topped with dollop of sour cream.

I like to make knishes with leak and kasha - the two go great together.  I need to do this soon as the weather is turning and this is great comfort food.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. gbhunter1977

gbhunter1977

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The cabbage soup with tomato must be from a different place in Poland. I would venture to guess closer to Russia. Just a guess though. My grand mother used to make it from a chicken stock base and no tomato :) it was used as a laxative while the Reds were rationig food and medicene. But i digres, I'm very sorry about my poor spelling I'm on medication as I'm sick. I will try to post a pic of the soup once it is don.

One more question how long will bacon last in a fridge, not the frezer.

Thanks
    Paul Ch

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would say that chicken stock is indeed very health, very low in fat and full of flavor.  Bacon though is not as healthy.  And why do you put in pre-boiled potatoes?  Wouldn't it be wise to cook the potatoes in the broth for better flavors?

What's a roe?

I'm really in the mood for a potato soup now, cabbage sounds good and with plenty of leeks.

6. gbhunter1977

gbhunter1977

Exp:
    Home Cook
    i pre boil potatoes because cooking in the broth gets a foam-scum that forms on topI agree that it does add flavor but in this soup I use tater for texture plus if i let the soup in the friddgefor one day the flavors will mix well. Just gentle hints :)