buying Tasso in Ohio

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rally618, Dec 6, 2012.

1. rally618

rally618

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I am in Sandusky and want to make Gumbo and I'm looking to buy Tasso. Could use some help locating a place.I found Andouille here.Or is there something to replace Tasso? Thanks

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Soppressata and cappacolla are acceptable substitutes. 

Cooking gumbo is more of a life event than an exercise in exactitude like petit-fours.  Don't worry too much about following any recipe exactly.  Relax.  Have fun with the roux. 

BDL

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Since tasso is smoked I would go with a smoked hock or smoked ham.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Just omit it, it really doesnt add much that the andouille already hasn't.     

I usually put either/or in my gumbos, but rarely both as they are so similar in flavor.

5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Tasso is sometimes smoked, but I think that by and large it's salt cured.  Some people buy cured tasso and smoke it themselves.  I've hot smoked cappacolla with good results. 

I think cheflayne and Twyst are both right.  While there's a lot of stuff you can leave out, there's a lot of stuff you can add too.  Smoked hock is a good idea, smoked turkey wings too.  Why not?  It's frikkin' gumbo

BDL

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    In my experiences (grew up in south louisiana), tasso is always smoked.

7. saints4llife

saints4llife

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Tasso is pretty easy to make yourself.

8. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I've only visited Louisiana, and defer to those with greater knowledge.

BDL

9. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Where in south Louisiana? Me too, around New Orleans, Thibodaux and Baton Rouge. Of all the places I've lived since then I've never found another as rich in culture or flavor. Home sweet home.

10. twyst

twyst

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Small world!   I grew up in Thibodaux before moving to new orleans once I got out and on my own!

11. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    something's been bugging me that i'm sure one of you cajuns can answer......what is meant by the 'three hail mary's' of making gumbo?  or is that extended to all cajun cooking?  thanks

joey

12. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Well talk about small town USA! Hey you could always drive up to Zingerman's in Ann Arbor MI but I'd agree with the suggestion just to skip it. I certainly wouldn't add Capicolla or Sopresatta but hey variety is the spice of life and Zingermanns has some killer options in each department and several others. Since Tasso should be smoked I might use either fresh smoked pork shoulder or thick sliced smoked bacon.

durangojo are you talking about the Holy Trinity?

Dave

13. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    yes dave, i suppose i am....lapsed catholic girl guilt/reflex thinking it was hail mary's...too funny,lol!...thanks

joey

14. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm sure you already know this but the Trinity is celery, onions and bell peppers. It's just a riff on a classic mirepoix that replaces carrot.

Dave

15. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Absolutely right, although the everpresent silent partner of the Trinity is garlic. It's just added later :)

16. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    no, actually i didn't know ...my guess was that it was file powder, okra and roux.....guess it's three hail mary's for me then!     thanks dave and lulu...now i got it from the horsey's mouths

joey

17. rally618

rally618

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I am making it Saturday.I'm using the Andouille,smoked hocks and chicken as the meats.Thanks all :)

I will ask my aunt-n-uncle about that place in Ann Arbor.They live in Michigan,I am 1 1/2 hr from there.

18. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If you ever make it to Ann Arbor you don't want to miss Zingerman's. It's one of the best deli's outside of NYC. They have every thing you could think of. None of it's inexpensive but it's all top quality. The Nueske's Apple smoked bacon is awesome. They carry real cappicola and Sopprasetta that's nothing like the salty mystery meat so commonly sold in the US. They have Tasso, Andouille etc and an imported Cheese section that will make your head spin. Don't miss the magic brownies (Hey! not that kind of brownie. ;) 

Dave

http://www.zingermansdeli.com/

19. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I miss Zingermann's. There's nothing like it here in Chicago. Their bread is wonderful, too. I've never, ever seen anything like their chocolate-cherry bread anywhere else.

20. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Try Don's Meats in Lafayette (not really in but just a hop north, the actual town name escapes me, but it's so close that it might as well be)

Always beg one of the hubs employees to bring me boudin and andouille when he goes to see his mama.

They do a real nice job with overnite's also.

mimi