buying knives in Tokyo

Joined Feb 13, 2014
I'll be traveling to Japan for holidays and will spend several days in Tokyo and several in Kyoto.
Would any of you be able to recommend a good knives shop there that would be worth visiting? I only have one Japanese knife so far (Konosuke HD2 Gyuto), but would be very keen to use the opportunity of this trip to buy some more quality knives :)
Any suggestions what I should look for? A shop and even perhaps knives recommendation?
many thanks!

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Tsubaya is mentioned in the thread Brian's linked.
Anything in particular you are wanting? A supplement to your Konosuke?

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Yes, to expand my collection of high quality knives and have them also for other utilities; as most in Europe I've grown up with just Henckels/Wusthof style knives and apart from the Konosuke these are the only knives I have. I use Konosuke for making Sushi even ;)
...So, definitely I'd look to buy a good Yangiba, a strong Deba, and a couple of nice pairing knives. I also like the looks of Santoku knives, but not sure if I'd find much use for them that cannot be done between a Gyuto and Deba; or should I get one and learn its specific uses? Anything else to recommend?
Cheers!

Joined Aug 6, 2015
I'm not sure those jig systems are compatible with single beveled knives like yanagiba, deba, usuba

Latest posts

Top Bottom