buying a dutch oven

Joined Jul 14, 2010
Siduri, I think you might be thinking of Crate and Barrel (Linens 'n Things went toes up a couple of years ago).  They carry the Mario Batali line.  I believe they are made in China. 

Joined Aug 13, 2006
Siduri, I think you might be thinking of Crate and Barrel (Linens 'n Things went toes up a couple of years ago).  They carry the Mario Batali line.  I believe they are made in China. 
Thanks BHT, crate and barrel, i never remember, but keep remembering Bowl and Board, a store in Cambridge Mass, that I always used to go to.   I never even saw one of those batali ones, so i don;t know.  "Made in China" is not too reassuring, though, i admit.  

Also, yes, Ikea has one now too.  And in London there was a brand i saw (name not remembered) in a professional cooking supply store I believe in Soho, or near Neal's yard area, covent garden, where all the shoe stores are.  It looked REALLY good, and was significantly cheaper than le creuset.   I was thinking of it as a present for a very good friend who i got interested in making bread.

Joined Apr 6, 2010
by the way - flea markets and garage sales might yield a good find. my wife found a sixties descoware (belgium) dutch oven for a dollar once a while back, and we use that thing quite a bit!

Joined Aug 21, 2009
My dutch oven is a "no brand" one as well.  I bought it seventeeen years ago on St Clair Avenue in TO.  (Little Italy area) It has served me very well, survived two moves, two children helping with dishes, and more than one road trip to Woodstock as my mother in law needs it for potatoes now that our family has grown to include married grandchildren at gatherings.  I recently discovered the Staub line and when mine finally dies I think its' successor will be a Staub. 

Has anyone here had any experience with the Microstoven line?  I saw them for the first time today and kind of heasitated to buy the tajine they had.  It says that the cookware can be used in the microwave, stove and oven but before I drop $90 on a tagine I would like to know a little more about the stuff first.

Joined Apr 3, 2006
Leeniek, I have one.  Haven't used it  much though, probably used it a dozen times at most.  It is the first tajine I've ever owned (forgot to jump on the tagine bandwagon when it became fashionable i guess).  So far, I've been quite pleased with it.  On the other hand, I could easily have used a dutch oven for any of the food I've cooked in the tagine.  I think I won't miss it much if it disappears.  It does look good in the middle of the dining table though, when you lift the lid and your guests go "oooohhh.... ahhhhh" =).

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2010
Thought I would chime in here. I bought a 7.25 qt Le Creuset bouillabaisse pot two years ago at an outlet store here in Texas. At the time, they were selling for around $300, but I got one at the outlet for under $100. The only reason it was at the outlet was because of a bubble on the side near the bottom. It took me 20 minutes to find that, and it has absolutely no bearing on the performance of the pot. While it's not a dutch oven in the truest sense of the word, it can do just about anything that a dutch oven can do, and it's about 1-2 qt bigger than your standard dutch oven. I use it for everything from gumbo to braising lamb shanks. Absolutely 100% worth every penny I spent on it.

On the other hand, I have had three items made by Lodge Logic over the past few years. A smaller dutch oven, a 12'' skillet, and an 8'' skillet. The skillets work fine, but aren't anything special. The dutch oven, on the other hand, wasn't worth the cast iron it was made from. It wouldn't brown evenly, the lid didn't create anything near a seal, and it was a pain to keep seasoned and rust free. This is something you never have to worry about with LC.

Joined Nov 19, 2010
This fall, I purchased my first Le Creuset Dutch/French oven and I couldn’t be happier with it. Initially, I had purchased a Ruff Hewn oval oven, which was a 7.5 qt oval casserole.

However, the lid was not quite oval (there was an indentation along the circumference of the lid). And after hearing how Chinese-manufactured ovens were notorious for shoddy workmanship, and learning that my oven was manufactured in China I returned the Ruff Hewn and soon bought the oven I really wanted, my Le Creuset, a 6¾ quart beautiful oval oven in cherry red. And I got a great deal on it from Chefs Resource as well.   

Joined Feb 17, 2010
hi all,

i'm in the process of buying my first dutch oven (splurging on le creuset!), and this thread has been very helpful!  i have an additional question about size...

they have 2, 3.5, 5.5, and 7 quart round french ovens.  which do i get?  if i had to choose two?

thanks so much!!

Joined Jan 5, 2007
Personally, I'd buy the two largest - it's easy to put a smaller portion in a large pot - less easy the other way round !

Joined Feb 14, 2011
My name is Jason and I live in North United States of America (N. USA), I am from N. USA and I was born in N. USA

I am new here and will help you out.

I recommend going online such as Google, Yahoo etc. and even go to thrift stores, Wal-Mart etc.

Also Dutchoven safety (if it will not be any hazard(s)) where heat resistant gloves when putting food in or out of a dutch oven, if serious burn(s) call either non emergency number or 911 (if in N. USA) or other emergency number(s).

Great luck and I hope you find an excellent dutch oven.

Joined Sep 25, 2003
For the normal medium/large sizes I reco Tramontina less than $50 and no appreciable difference from Le Creuset. You can order them from Wlamart and have them delivered to the store free.   ATK tested Tramontina and agreed there was no appreciable difference between them and le Creuset.  Downside is they only offer red and green and the plastic knobs needs to be replaced with steel for hot oven use (over 400ºF or such).  I've been using Tramontina for 5 years or more and had no problems. I also bought another half dozen over the years for friends and family.  I don't see any difference between them and Staub in terms of quality.  No chips, no scratches, no discoloring- I don't abuse them.  I use them a lot for no knead bread.  I just wrapped the knob in tinfoil.

I also wanted some smaller sizes and invested in Staub.  The only drawback to Staub is the dark interior.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 2, 2012
Hi...I know this is an older forum...but I have the same situation as yours. I damaged my Le Creuset that I got from my wedding in 2000. Can I ask how you tell Le Creuset that prompted them to sell a replacement for only 25% of the sales price?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank You

SJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom