Butters from around the world

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Oct 18, 2001.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I would like to someday taste all the different butters from around the globe. For example, from another thread, a butter made from sheep milk which comes from Crete. French Butter tastes different from American, and I made butter from Yak milk the other day. And who can forget Ghee! Anyone have any experiences they wanna share?

Kuan

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I bought goat butter awhile back, and couldn't think of a single application for it. The flavor was sour, almost like parmesan cheese. I guess if you like that 'off' taste...

How was the yak butter?

3. isa

isa

I'm sorry to hear that Momo, I saw some in my grocery and was looking forward to try some. Thought it would bring an exotic flavour to whatever dish I would use it in.

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yak butter, tasted like sweaty cheese...

5. elakin

elakin

when i was in italy, i bought buffalo butter.

i thought it was good....a little creamier and richer than normal, and with a little bit of a sour tang. but others that tasted it strongly disliked it and refused to eat it. i think i ended up using it in biscuits or something.

cool topic, by the way....very interesting.

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I didn't know you came back from Italy.:confused:

7. elakin

elakin

yep, momoreg.....

i got back around 2 weeks ago and have been busily trying to get back into the swing of things here. settling into my apt....looking for a new job, and getting used to the hectic, busy lifestyle that is american life.

thanks for noticing!

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Eddie, welcome back! I'd love to read the final installment of your Italian sojourn. We haven't ruled out our trip this summer, but then again, your journals and photos may be the closest we'll get.