Butternut Squash Soup

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Spudnik, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik

Exp:
    Amateur
    Hi, I'm planning on making a butternut squash soup for Thanksgiving lunch. The recipe calls for chicken stock, but I was wondering if veal stock would make for an even better soup. Then I was wondering how to make something that's like veal stock since I won't be able to make the real thing. (Time mostly)

My plan is to use beef and chicken stock from the store in a 2:1 ratio with (again store bought) demi-glace and some sherry to cut the canned/boxed-taste.

First, am I on the right track here? Second, how much demi-glace should I use?

Thanks,
    Spudnik

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think you are making things too complicated. Butternut squash soup is made with chicken stock because it’s been determined by many cooks over many years to be a good combination.

If you want to change that then go right ahead. Either use veal stock or don’t. But don’t kid yourself thinking that you can simulate veal stock. Just blend chicken and beef stock if that’s what you think would be better. I’d do it different than your thinking and would Have chicken be the majority. Forget Demi...

If your using canned you’ll suffer the “canned taste”. Doesn’t your grocery have boxed stock? It’s marginally better. So is some of the stock concentrates like Better Than Bullion.

drirene likes this.
  3. Spudnik

Spudnik

Exp:
    Amateur
    The chicken stock being best because of the combination is part of what I was after wondering about whether I was on the right track.

I do have access to boxed stock and Better-than-bullion. That was actually what I had planned on using if I made the leap this way. But if chicken stock is the right choice for this then I'll stick with that.

Thanks for the help!

4. Spudnik

Spudnik

Exp:
    Amateur
    Err... part of what I was after *when I was wondering if I was on the right track.

Sorry. I worded that awkwardly.

5. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    There are some decent boxed stock brands on the market that are acceptable when you don't have the time to make stock. I always have at least 2 gallons of frozen homemade chicken stock on hand at any given time. You should make it a point to set aside time every now and then to make stock, especially when moving into the holiday season. :)

6. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    For a Butternut squash soup, I would actually use a little Vegemite/Marmite for part of the salt. Because that is more my style of cooking. Please notice I said part of the salt! Too much Vegemite is a FAIL. For my style I would NOT add any dessert spices either, I like to make it more savory though. Again, just my style because I have seen a few recipes for Butternut/Acorn/Pumpkin soups that add nutmeg to emphasize sweetness.

I think your guests will enjoy your soup however you decide to proceed!

Happy Thanksgiving!

7. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I make a butternut squash soup with vegetable stock and almond milk that people seem to really love.

8. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Me too - I use vegetable stock, I mean, and a little almond milk to make it creamy. I roast the squash first and sometimes add some chilli to the sop.

9. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I use vegetable stock also.

10. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Another nice addition is cider in place of some of the stock.

11. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with pretty much what everyone said; go with chicken stock, or vegetable. If you decide to use a combination of beef and chicken stock, please leave the demi out of it. As someone said before, adding cider for part of your liquid is a good idea, as is deglazing your pot with a bit of hard cider. Also, as a personal preference, when making squash soup I like to add a bit of curry powder, or some chipotle.

drirene likes this.
  12. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I keep a 50/50 blend of ground cumin and ground cinnamon around (it began life as my plantain spice) and I put in a dash of that as a simple go-to spicing.

13. Spudnik

Spudnik

Exp:
    Amateur
    On the advice of, well, everyone, I'm going to stick with the chicken stock.

But I do like the idea of deglazing with cider and think I'll try that.

Thanks guys!

morning glory likes this.
  14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    One thing I have not seen mentioned is that roasting the squash in a hot 400 - 425F oven until soft and browned a bit adds a nice flavor to the end product.

mjb.

15. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    If you have access to it, Miso is a nice substitute for stock, especially for any vegetarians in the crowd.

16. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Apple and pear both are typically added to your typical French onion soup, so squash why not?!

morning glory likes this.
  17. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oddly enough I've never come across them used in French onion soup. Sounds very interesting.

18. Chefoz

Chefoz

Exp:
    I use vegetable stock with that too.

19. toxicant

toxicant

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    I roasted the butternut, plus two russets potatoes. I added two small local cortland apples. Chicken stock was the lubricant. I did consume a bowl without adding cream but found it was much better with.

20. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Lubricant?:eek: