Buttermilk

Joined Aug 15, 2003
fresh cheese...biscuits....ranch dressing...buttermilk panna cotta with seasonal fruit (use a mix of cream/fresh milk and just don't heat the buttermilk)...

Joined Jan 7, 2018
Aside from the obvious breading and baking options, ranch or blue cheese dressing would be awesome. Or even buttermilk smoothies.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Great job mom for teaching your son to be open to new foods.
When I pick the namesake up for a visit we stop for snax.
String cheese and real carrots that you have to peel (she says the "baby" ones have no flavor) as well as the sharp cheddar she favors for cheese straws and hummus and yogurt (not the full of sugar artificial flavored crap with cartoon characters on the labels) but plain Greek with fruit to stir in.
...and gummy bears....cannot forget the gummy bears lol....

mimi

Joined Apr 3, 2008
My father in law always crumbled cornbread into a glass of buttermilk and ate it with a spoon.

Sounds like something someone from an older generation would do. My Grandfather would pasteurize the goat milk he got from his goat daily, put it in a cup with "paximadi" (dried bread) and eat it for breakfast. My greatuncle lived in France for a long time and for breakfast he would crack 2 egg yolks in a cup and beat them with a spoonful of sugar. That was his daily breakfast. @french fries have you heard of this? Always meant to ask. This could be the start of a great thread, things our elders ate.

Joined Feb 18, 2007
instead of cornbread, you could make buttermilk biscuits, or a cake; I second the idea of buttermilk panna cotta is wonderful (look up Claudia Fleming's recipe in her book)

Joined Jan 18, 2018
I have a lot of buttermilk left over after making corn bread. What should I do with it besides make pancakes and fried chicken?
You could make cream cheese...!!! I used to make this all the time (I think the recipe I had was fairly similar to this one).

https://www.marthastewart.com/334318/buttermilk-fresh-cheese

I used to let the curds drip in the cheesecloth until they were very dry (almost crumbly) and then whip it in the food processor with salt (I didn't put the salt in the milk/buttermilk mixture during heating). Adding maple syrup and walnuts is also delicious, as is scallion, red onion and some fresh bell pepper. Whatever kind of cream cheese you'd like to make would be possible!

Joined May 4, 2005
Buttermilk banana bread. Lemon buttermilk bread. Buy cream and make creme fraiche.
But in all seriousness, biscuits.
Did I mention biscuits?

I also vote for the buttermilk panna cotta.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
the idea of buttermilk panna cotta is wonderful (look up Claudia Fleming's recipe in her book)

Whoa, you have her book "The Last Course"? I'm jealous. It's always been the one book that eluded me. I have most of the good baking books, just not that one!

Joined Apr 3, 2008
You could make cream cheese...!!! I used to make this all the time (I think the recipe I had was fairly similar to this one).

https://www.marthastewart.com/334318/buttermilk-fresh-cheese

I used to let the curds drip in the cheesecloth until they were very dry (almost crumbly) and then whip it in the food processor with salt (I didn't put the salt in the milk/buttermilk mixture during heating). Adding maple syrup and walnuts is also delicious, as is scallion, red onion and some fresh bell pepper. Whatever kind of cream cheese you'd like to make would be possible!

Wow I can't see myself making this but this is amazing!!

Joined Aug 15, 2003
the trick is to not heat up the buttermilk...you dissolve sugar/vanilla/gelatin in the heavy cream on the stove them add the buttermilk in once the cream cools down.

Top Bottom