Buttercream

Joined Jun 28, 2018
Hey guys, I’m having trouble with my buttercream. I have a pastry case that is refrigerated and mainly cakes, cupcakes and cake slices. The buttercream seems to be getting too hard and I am getting customer complaints. It is a great icing. Should I cut it with a shortening to make it softer and prevent it from freezing? Need some fast help on this issue. Case temp is at roughly 60 degrees.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Which BC technique are you using?
Not so sure any of the meringue based recipes would accept Crisco without it melting then breaking when brought back to room temp (not to mention the bland flavor).
Have never tried it tho so if you do plz let us know the outcome.
I get why you need to preserve the product ... since retiring I freeze whole cakes for days even weeks.
foodpump foodpump already gave the best advice.
Instruct your patrons to loosen the wrapper and allow a brief rest before diving in.

Joined Jun 28, 2018
Hey guys, I’m having trouble with my buttercream. I have a pastry case that is refrigerated and mainly cakes, cupcakes and cake slices. The buttercream seems to be getting too hard and I am getting customer complaints. It is a great icing. Should I cut it with a shortening to make it softer and prevent it from freezing? Need some fast help on this issue. Case temp is at roughly 60 degree.

Update: I am looking for a buttercream icing that’s stands up to cold temps and stays creamy and doesn’t get hard. Would that be something like an Italian buttercream

Joined Mar 4, 2015
wellllllllll, any buttercream is going to have butter/fat in it. Butter, under refrigeration will harden.

Swiss buttercream is my go to. Usually a super smooth product, but still hardens up a bit in cold temps.

Sub out for a whipped white chocolate ganache? That may soften up a bit quicker than buttercream.

Latest posts

Top Bottom