Buttercream won't re-thicken after melting

Joined Oct 9, 2020
So I've just started experimenting with two methods of coloring buttercream where you heat it up to intensify color, or you use lecithin to bind the butterfat and the water based food coloring together. I melted some buttercream and added a bit of lecithin and food coloring to it, and the color was great. But after leaving it to chill for a while and whipping it, the buttercream just won't thicken. It's consistency is like SPF lotion. I've never had this happen before, I've always been able to reconstitute buttercream no problem. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

The buttercream I'm using is swiss meringue.

Joined Feb 23, 2020
So I've just started experimenting with two methods of coloring buttercream where you heat it up to intensify color, or you use lecithin to bind the butterfat and the water based food coloring together. I melted some buttercream and added a bit of lecithin and food coloring to it, and the color was great. But after leaving it to chill for a while and whipping it, the buttercream just won't thicken. It's consistency is like SPF lotion. I've never had this happen before, I've always been able to reconstitute buttercream no problem. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Hi Jing
Well, i am not an expert in buttercream making and coloring but i think it is a simple fact. Meringue (in this case swiss), is quickly mixed with buttercream so that we get a fluffy enriched buttercream. But by melting the buttercream, the meringue is destroyed (it's a stabilized foam) because of the heat. A second reason could be over-working the meringue.

Joined Apr 29, 2019
so no real answer from me here, but butter is a complex structure as the result of a good deal of churning at the right temperature. Once you melt it, you have a completely different product.

And to basically try and re-churn it, with extra stuff in it thatll interfere with it re-creating that structure...it seems doubtful at best. Certainly not something to achieve with a whisk or paddle.

Joined Dec 29, 2019

lecithin isnt needed to tint buttercream.
i suspect you went overboard with coloring.

Top Bottom