butter pecan ice cream help

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I love butter pecan ice cream and have made it a few times but same problem keeps happening. I put half cup chopped pecans & butter in a measuring cup and microwave 1 minute several times until the pecans are soft about 3 - 4 minutes. I then remove the pecans then pour the butter into the mix, stir and pour into the machine. Problem is the butter will clump as the mix freezes and that is how it comes out. Ice cream tast fine but sick of butter clumps. I mix the pecans into the ice cream before popping it into the freezer. Any help will be appreciated :rolleyes:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Maybe pour the butter in the ice cream mix when the mix is still warm, over 100F.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I don't cook the base, its cold right from the fridge. Half&half, sugar & vanilla.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I got nothing. Warm the pecans and butter in some base perhaps on the stovetop. Your method a very short cut method already. Adding another short cut won't make it better IMO.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Seems like most recipes cook the butter with a custard to make an emulsion. What you're doing is just going to stir butter into ice cream. No wonder it remains in chunks!

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Ok I'll try it that way. Got a recipe to follow. Most of the recipes i seen are browing the pecans and butter in fry pan which is pretty much what I'm doing in the microwave. Some make the base seperate and don't evem mix in the pecan flavored butter, which i don't get at all. If i cook the base with the flavored butter then cool it down will not that bring me back to same thing, butter seperating when cold from base.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
Your making a Philadelphia style ice cream. Not a custard based (with egg). Should work okay but I think you handicapped your efforts by insisting on microwaving your nuts. Why?

It sounds to me as if you are attempting to adapt and improvise a recipe you haven’t even mastered once. In general... a losing proposition. Follow a good recipe once VERBATIM. Then twist one thing at a time.

Please post your complete recipe. Not doing so makes everyone guess and make assumptions. It’s not fair either to anybody... including yourself.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Save a frying pan, i just put 1/2 cup nuts/butter in glass measuring cup and microwave stiring them every minute until they start to change color, 3 to 4 minutes. It's really no different than using a frying pan but it works out fine for nuts and flavoring the butter. My machine holds 1.5 pints so i mix 3 cups half& half (use that since heavy cream cost $$$ and has milk already) , 3/4 cup wheylow sugar for ice cream, some vanilla, little salt in 8 cup measuring cup then add strained butter. Mix together and pour into machine (makes 2 batches) and set on soft server 1.5 hours until ready. After that mix in half nuts and put in ice cream container into freezer and start second batch. I put base in fridge between batches so it stays cold.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Save a frying pan, i just put 1/2 cup nuts/butter in glass measuring cup and microwave stiring them every minute until they start to change color, 3 to 4 minutes. It's really no different than using a frying pan but it works out fine for nuts and flavoring the butter. My machine holds 1.5 pints so i mix 3 cups half& half (use that since heavy cream cost $$$ and has milk already) , 3/4 cup wheylow sugar for ice cream, some vanilla, little salt in 8 cup measuring cup then add strained butter. Mix together and pour into machine (makes 2 batches) and set on soft server 1.5 hours until ready. After that mix in half nuts and put in ice cream container into freezer and start second batch. I put base in fridge between batches so it stays cold.[/QUOTE]
Trouble is the butter doesn't stay mixed into the half stuff and clumps while cooling. Isn't butter where the name butter pecan comes from. The recipe came from Cuisinart recipe book downloaded off amazon, somewhat. Or book that came with ice cream machine, not sure anymore. Kind of combined the 2 but pretty much the same.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I do not think microwaving is the same as frying. That could be your problem #1. There really shouldn’t be much leftover butter. How much are you using... half cup each?

“saving a frying pan” is rediculous logic. Cleaning a frying pan is no more difficult than cleaning the measuring cup your microwaving.

Please re-read my last post. You persist in avoiding the good counsel. I’m not even sure if you understand how good that counsel really is. :)

Google a few more recipes. Try “Philadelphia ice cream butter pecan”. There are several very reasonable recipes to use. For a custard-based ice cream, delete the word “Philadelphia”.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 4, 2005
2 tbs butter to 1/4 cup pecan. This what i started with just don't understand why they leave the butter out.

Butter Pecan Ice Cream
The butter used to toast the pecans can be saved and used
over pancakes or waffles.
Makes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (i use 2)
1 cup pecans ( i use 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk ( replace this and cream with half/half 3 cups)
¾ cup granulated sugar
pinch salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Melt the butter in a medium skillet. Add the pecans and
1 teaspoon of salt. Cook over medium-low heat until
pecans are toasted and golden, stirring frequently, about
6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, strain and reserve
the pecans, allowing them to chill. The butter can be
used for another use – delicious over pancakes or
waffles.
2. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or
whisk to combine the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar
is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover
and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
3. Turn the Cuisinart® ice cream maker on; pour the mixture
into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened,
about 15 to 20 minutes. Five minutes before mixing is
completed, add the reserved pecans and let mix in
completely. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy
texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice
cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for
about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes
before serving.

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
I believe the butter pecan component of butter pecan ice cream is butter-infused pecans. Often all of the butter is intended to be soaked up by the pecan. But some recipes add the residual butter to the hot custard, where it is basically emulsified into the custard. That may never happen in the Philadelphia style recipe. I don’t know for sure because I only do custard style. In the ratio that recipe suggest there is sure to be unabsorbed butter... and likely a good reason why the don’t include adding it to the dairy base.

P.s. use more than 1/4 cup of pecans. Don’t be so frugal that the taste suffers.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Just seams shame not to include the butter, it's very flavorful. I'm going to try a custard base one day but its straining it that's preventing me from doing it and cooking it. Step 1 i found microwave does just as good, pecans roast and soften. Step 2 makes no sense since half&half is already cold right from fridge. My ice cream machine is a cooks essentials 1.5 pint thermo-electric self freezing maker

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
I understand about the butter... it’s good stuff which is why your recipe suggest putting it on something else. I suggest pancakes, waffle, or maybe pan-roasted chicken.

But... you have me confused... cleaning a frying pan and straining is preventing you from following a recipe so you can succeed in your quest?

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Microwave is same as fry pan to me but straining the Custard as i seen just bothers me. Remember my recipe doesn't use eggs which was something i wanted to avoid all together. I have ben & jerry cookbook and they talk about cook/uncook base but never said which used which or why cook base anyway.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Nope, microwave is emphatically not the same as frying pan, for several reasons. In this case, I think the main difference is that the frying pan is going to cook off a good deal of the water in the butter. It will also toast the pecans, changing their flavor. I wouldn't be surprised if, in this sort of quantity of butter and nuts, the direct heat produces a different absorption rate from the microwave heating (water from within), but I wouldn't want to predict exactly how it would differ.

Different heating modes affect foods very differently. Don't assume they're all the same -- they aren't!

Joined Jun 5, 2018
chrislehrer chrislehrer is absolutely correct Frying is completely different than microwaving. Also, you mentioned that your reduced the amount of pecans by upto 75%. That will leave a large amount of the butter unabsorbed. Finally, Half and half is not the same as the cream/milk blend indicated in the recipe. You have to perfect the recipe as it was written before modifying it as dramatically as you have.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I made using both and half/half i like more than just cream. I'll rework the pecans and adding left over butter and see if that changes it. Since the holidays coming started using coffee mate & international delight holiday flavors to make intresting ice cream. Spice pumpkin and next will be forested sugar cookie creamer which i plan mixing in crushed lorna doone and holiday nonpareils kind to give cookie texture. I just split the amount creamer with half&half and it worked out in my almond joy ice cream

Top Bottom