Butter fun facts

Joined Dec 2, 2009
Pioneer wives moving Westward learned to make butter on the march by using the motion of the wagon to churn their butter.

Joined Dec 2, 2009
In Quebec, Canada, a law existed until July 2008 which stated that margarine must be a different color from butter.

Joined Dec 2, 2009
The world record for butter eating is 7 quarter pound sticks of salted butter in 5 minutes by Donald Lerman.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
That's what I was wondering - thanks. I guess Canada is in America, right? But then again, so is Uruguay, Paraguay, Chili, Equator, Brazil....

Personally I know I eat WAY more than 4lbs of butter per year. :lol: But then again I'm French, and we eat butter on bread (with jam) for breakfast. Which reminds me - time for breakfast!

Joined Aug 13, 2006
ha, does that also make the yolks yellower? i heard they feed something to chickens here to make eggs to use in fettuccine, so they look more yellow and don;t have to add coloring. there's a french cheese that's colored yellow with flowers

But back to butter, isn;t there a (?)medieval tower (or maybe more than one) called the "butter tower" paid for by some butter tax or something?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Yes it does. In fact that's the only thing that determines the color of yolks: the color of the flowers the chicken eats. Since bright orange yolks are quite fashionable, many farmers make their chicken eat bright orange flowers.

Joined Feb 13, 2008
First, there's the arithmetic. If 1000 liters of water make 1 liter of milk, then 2000 liters of milk make 2 liters of milk which is 4.4 lbs.

Second, what happens to the roughly 1998 liters of water which don't go into the milk?

BDL

Latest posts

Top Bottom