butter creams

Joined Jul 18, 2001
Howdy all, I was wondering if some one would know if there are specific uses for the different types of butter creams. Mosty people know about the butter cream that goes into the expensive chocolates but there are several other butter creams that are used to fill and coat cakes. Some have a custard base, egg yolks and sugar syrup and some are made with egg whites that are either cooked with sugar or the hot sugar syrup is added to the beaten egg whites. Does anyone know if there are specific uses for these different types of butter creams?

Joined Mar 4, 2000
They can all be used to fill and ice cakes, but some are richer than others, and those made with whole eggs (or just yolks), as opposed to whites will have a yellower color. It all depends what you are looking for in terms of taste and color.

I prefer to use Italian buttercream, because it retains its consistency well. At one of my jobs, I use Swiss, and if the room is just a little bit chilly, the icing has to be tempered with melted buttercream to soften it up every 10 minutes or so. I find the Italian much easier to work with, and the look is the same for both.

Joined Nov 27, 2001
I agree with Memoreg. When using as a filling- any buttercream is suitable. When icing and decorating I prefer IMBC also, for all the reasons she said, plus, I think it holds up better to temperature changes once the cake is decorated.

Joined Jul 18, 2001
Thanks for your help, both of you. While I am a good cook, my baking skills are lacking and so when ever I bake I try to do something different to broaden my talents. Yes, I found that the Italian style much easier to work with and has a smoother mouth feel.
Thanks again.
Enjoy the holidays.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
just curious what ya'lls method and proceedure is on the swiss/french? I don't seem to have all the side effects, but I may not be doing it traditionally.

Joined Jan 15, 2001
Swiss meringue BC heat up the whites with the sugar, then whip up to meringue, then add butter. IMBC, pour hot syrup into whipping whites, then add butter. French BC usually uses yolks(you can use whole eggs) with hot syrup poured in, then the butter. The BC made with eggwhites seem to be more stable, the French BC is richer and very good for cake fillings.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
angrychef,
Thanks, that's what I'm used to. We actually throw the 60 right up on the range and heat the sugar and whites to blood temp scraping with our impeckibly sp? clean hands. then whip.
The whole egg we only use for mocca, coffee, pistachio etc filling like you stated. I really like the swiss, course we have to go to a frosting on the outside here as soon as it starts to get warm, which is 11 months a year. 70's today 38 nights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom