Butane Lighter substitute for creme brulee torch

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by deviatorz, Mar 5, 2012.

1. deviatorz

deviatorz

Exp:
    At home cook
    I was wondering if I can substitute the creme brulee torch for a butane lighter, the small ones that are used to light cigars. It goes up to 1300 degrees C. An example is this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320. Basically its a mini torch and unlike a normal lighter, it spits out a jet flame much like the torch. My main concern is if the butane inside it contains any other chemicals residues other than butane that could make one sick or worse. Is it pure butane in these lighters?

2. deviatorz

deviatorz

Exp:
    At home cook
    looks the the link has an error, here's a working one: here

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    They get to hot and could even  explode or even melt and burn you

4. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Since a decent oogi torch runs under $20 and a real deal Iwatani goes for $30, I think you're nuts.  This from a guy who worked as a bouncer and sparring partner.

But presumably you're an adult and smart enough to drop the lighter when it gets too hot to hold.  The short answer is, "yes you can,  but you can't do a very good job."  Be careful, don't burn yourself.

BDL

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You can even use a candle, or fireplace matches if you want to try, b ut think about it  if you can't do it right and turn out a decent product, why bother or waste your time ?

Make something else.

6. deviatorz

deviatorz

Exp:
    At home cook
    Those prices I can take. I was searching for some torches and they cost around $80 which isn't worth it. I was looking on Amazon for the torches you recommended and its around the prices you suggested. Do you know any other websites that sell those any cheaper and ship to Canada?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  7. sparkie

sparkie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I just use a BernzOmatic hand torch. Not pretty, but you get a larger flame that burns over 3000*F. The propane cans run about $3 for a 14oz cylinder vs about 1$ an ounce for butane refills. This all makes more sense if you have a greater need for the torch. Be it for large quantity of brulees or plumbing. The torch runs about $25 at any hardware store. Might not be what you're looking for but it is another option.