Burr Grinder vs Normal Grinders for Spices:

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by paxi, Jun 14, 2014.

1. paxi

paxi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi! Just curious is there any difference between grinding your spices in a burr grinder vs a normal grinder? I'm thinking of experimenting with curries and was contemplating whether to get a burr grinder for grinding the spices. Would a normal blade grinder work equally well?

I've heard that due to the heat generated in a normal blade grinder the taste of the spices is affected, since they loose essential oils during the whole process.

2. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used to work on the tandoor at an Indian spot and we did all our spices in coffee grinders. Curry spice like cardamom, and anise will put a big hurt on any grinder and we played around with a bunch of different ones. Everything can handle easy ones like fenugreek, coriander, and cumin but once you get into really woody spice they all burn out. Better to go with a cheap coffee grinder. Although an immersion blender is super useful for blending your curries.

mint derek and paxi like this.
  3. paxi

paxi

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    By a coffee grinder do you mean "A Burr Grinder"  :)   

4. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So burr is a company that makes many different blenders, grinders and immersion blenders. I've never used their brand of coffee grinder but it has great reviews.

5. grande

grande

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I thought the OP was referring to whether the grinder used blades (like a home coffee grinder) or burrs (like a pro espresso grinder)?