Burnt the crap out of my hand...how can I help?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by trainmeup, Dec 30, 2016.

1. trainmeup

trainmeup

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    So I had a grease fire reignite and lite my right hand on fire to the point skin is falling off two days later and it's still blistering. Feel like crap not being there for my crew during our version of hell week. Can't handle food for several reasons including I can hardly open a door handle...I'm not alone int his form of burn. I know there are others that have found ways to contribute. How can I? It hurts like hell but I'm thinking I can work middle calling tickets and assembling sandwiches on the flat top. Have thought about offering to host. Do I just step back and follow doctors orders? Don't want to permanently hurt my dominant hand. Thoughts? How do you handle the guilt? How can I show support to my crew?

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Your crew will move and get whatever needs to get prepped and cooked ....done. Simple as that.
    I hope it gets healed fast, sounds like third degree burns which are painful.
    As far as support goes, have a presence and keep them motivated. I'm sure they all know what they are doing .

3. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    You help by doing everything you can to get healed and better. You pay attention to what the doctor said. You have extremely serious burns. 

You help the team by healing as quickly as possible and getting back to work as a whole person.

You do not help by endangering the healing process. The team knows you will be out and can plan accordingly to adjust for the time you are out. They can also plan for when you will be back because you will do everything you can to heal well so you can come back at the earliest time as a completely healed coworker. Risking infection is dangerous and short changes you and your coworkers. Healing as quickly as possible is the best support you can give. 

4. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You cannot be back to work till you are cleared to go back to work by your doctor. Its a work comp case. You have to listen to what they say.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Peachcreek

5. sharktwain

sharktwain

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    I know I'm late to the conversation here, but I really recommend you stay out of the kitchen, hard as that will be. I know you feel useless, but the last thing you want to do right now is accidentally flake off a bit of burnt skin into a meal or -- worse yet -- risk exposing it to heat again. Ask the exec if you can take over ordering, or do some detail cleaning (something that doesn't require your hand getting into hot soapy water). Or maybe your FOH manager can have you help bus or something. 

Like everyone's saying, though, the absolute best way for you to help right now is to heal quickly and properly. You might feel guilty, but you can make it up to your cooks by showing them that, when they get hurt, the rest of the team will step up and absorb the loss -- just like they're doing with you. Use it as an opportunity to build trust along the line, and show that everyone has each other's backs.

And most importantly, get well soon.

6. trainmeup

trainmeup

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Thank you all! It was tough. And of course one guy was like "I hit my elbow...better go work in the office..." being a sarcastic jerk and poking at me (he's the typical a-hole)... but mainly it feels amazing to be back. I missed my brothers and sisters. Feels so amazing to hit those rushes! I was able to work in the office and learned so much about employee paperwork, filing, reconciliations, organizing year end paperwork. There is always a silver lining and way to become better. My hand is still adjusting to use. Taking the time to heal it properly was the best choice to make and now that I am whole again I give back to my crew and appreciate how they stepped up while I was away.  It built trust. It's good to be back.