Burning off alcohol?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by ansola, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ansola

ansola

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I made a recipe of 'Grand Marnier Prawns' last night.  The instructions called for "burning off' the alcohol of 1 cup of Grand Marnier.  What I did was place the GM in a sauce pan and lit it on fire....and it burned...and it burned...and I became inpatient.  The flames simmered down to bluish and put the lid on the pan to put it out.  Was I too impatient?  Should  I have waited until the flames extinguished themselves?  Thanks in advance for your answers! 

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
     After ignition of liquor ,turn flame down a bit and let them burn themselves out . This makes the liquor heavier and with  less alcohol content to taste

3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just let it go, the flavor will get better as the sugars in the alcohol start to carmelize. Stopping the process early causes a loss of flavor and too much alcohol left in the food.

4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    If you're impatient, use a skillet instead of a saucepan. The more surface area there is, the faster the alcohol burns off. But, as others have said, let it burn out on its own for best results.

5. ansola

ansola

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Thank you all!  I kind of suspected I should have let it go...excellent hint to increase the surface area to reduce the burning time.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif