Burning off alcohol?

Joined Apr 23, 2010
I made a recipe of 'Grand Marnier Prawns' last night.  The instructions called for "burning off' the alcohol of 1 cup of Grand Marnier.  What I did was place the GM in a sauce pan and lit it on fire....and it burned...and it burned...and I became inpatient.  The flames simmered down to bluish and put the lid on the pan to put it out.  Was I too impatient?  Should  I have waited until the flames extinguished themselves?  Thanks in advance for your answers! 

Joined Apr 3, 2010
 After ignition of liquor ,turn flame down a bit and let them burn themselves out . This makes the liquor heavier and with  less alcohol content to taste

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Just let it go, the flavor will get better as the sugars in the alcohol start to carmelize. Stopping the process early causes a loss of flavor and too much alcohol left in the food.

Joined Feb 1, 2007
If you're impatient, use a skillet instead of a saucepan. The more surface area there is, the faster the alcohol burns off. But, as others have said, let it burn out on its own for best results.

Joined Apr 23, 2010
Thank you all!  I kind of suspected I should have let it go...excellent hint to increase the surface area to reduce the burning time.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Top Bottom